1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever wonder how much you walk a day?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gcbailey, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

My Android phone is with me 99.5% of the time. Which ap for this works best...? I wear out vibram lug soles very quickly.
  2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I purchased the 'mapmywalk+' this morning. I have a Galaxy S3, but it's got a iphone version too. It uses GPS instead of the phone's built in sensor. So far today, 4.71 miles.... Lot nicer to ride the Lazer vs. walking!!! One thing to remember is to pause the app once you get in the trucks, or on the ztr.
  3. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a GPS version if you care about accuracy. Not the sort of measurement that really matters so whatever floats your boat but if you have a pedometer on the bumps of a rider or on a sulky will still set it off. For a while we had a get healthy challenge at work where everyone wore one for a month. On average I put on 300 steps from the bumps in the road on my drive to work.
  4. bluescapes

bluescapes LawnSite Member

I purchased the new Samsung Galaxy s5 and it automatically keeps up with the number of steps you walk. I do about 15,000 per day.
  5. gcbailey

from WV

Well, I know I'm walking a whole lot more this year!

Does the s5 have to be calibrated? I've been reading on things like the Nike fuel band and such and everyone basically says they are junk.
  6. yardworketc

yardworketc LawnSite Member

Would be pretty awesome to do a contest or just a survey and have forum folks where a pedometer or if you are rich and techy a FitBit and make a tally of steps walked!

Yardwork Etc.
  7. Jobber

Jobber Sponsor

This thread really makes me feel lazy and out of shape.

I wish I could walk 5-8 miles a day, I would feel amazing. Most walking I do is to the office kitchen and back a few times a day.

8. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am behind and treated 38 lawns today with a 80 lb push spreader, I don't know how far I walked but I'm pretty sure I'm speaking from the grave right now. a few were over an acre.
  9. gcbailey

from WV

I'll put it this way.... At the end of March when the season first started I was 231... my "hibernation" weight... Last night I weighed in at 209....
  10. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Don't you love that? Every spring we have a built in "free" 10lbs of weight loss.

Of course I usually gain about 12lbs every winter.