1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ever wonder how much you walk a day?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gcbailey, Sep 4, 2013.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

The question is.... what kind of terrain are we talking on those properties? Granted a mile is a mile.... BUT a mile going up and down and across and around slopes, hills, ditches, whatever is a totally different mile than taking a stroll on a flat lawn.

2. mowman13

mowman13 LawnSite Member

As I said, the transmission wore out fast. Personal pace mowers are not meant to pull 120lbs, especially uphill. :cry:

Oh, and this is me now :walking: . WALKING behind the replacement ;)

3. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, it was absurd. What pissed me off is we did them all in one day because the forecast for the next 3 days was nothing but rain, and of course it didn't rain.

I've grown a lot since then and now we're running 3 guys, 2 mowers. 2 days is a 52" Vantage and a 60" Turf Tracer; we barely use the 48" anymore. And now we can do 35 in a 8 or 9 hour day; it sure helps to not drive between lawns.

4. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Most yards pretty flat, some back yards with hills (some with bad hills). I'm sure that day I did all the hills side to side. The few days after that my legs felt like I had run a marathon.

5. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

so true.

All my lawns are within 2 miles of my home.

I don't cut 35 in a day,-but really, I don't have to.

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

So who here has dealt with Plantar Fascitis...?...and runs mostly walk behinds...?

I have it in my right heel now developing and getting worse. I'm canceling my commercial that has a steep side slope. Not worth it to me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I haven't dealt with it personally, but know several runners who have... Unfortunately the best thing for it is to keep walking at a minimal and do a lot of stretching. One guy ended up getting corticosteroid injections and it took care of it, but still.... I believe it took him about 6 months to get over it.

8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Just 3 nights of site specific "earth grounding" has moved this in the opposite direction. Nature's natural antiinflammatory.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Tanum

Tanum LawnSite Member

Last Thursday I was using an mankar sprayer Ulf and I set up one of those trackers runners use for laps and stuff on my phone. 12 miles was the total starting at 7am and finishing at noon, i was really surprised. The site is big but I never thought I would have walked that far just spraying. ......
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. carltonbell1991

carltonbell1991 LawnSite Member

when i worked at toms my truck only got 3 miles to the gallon and i lived 5 miles from work. i walked to and from work everyday and still had energy to spare. so thats 5 miles to work 5 miles home. and we did 23 yards a day with a 3 man crew. i felt like a soldier. i ate tons of sweets and still lost 60 pounds in 2 months.