1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ever work in the dark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Nov 3, 2004.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

yesterday a customer called me and said "i need my lawn cut today." well i was working at my other job and i told him i cant guarentee it but ill try. by the way he called at 3:00 it is now dark here at 5:00 due to day lights savings time. so i rush around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get there. by the time i got there it was pitch black out, but i cut the yard anyway. I knew it had to look like SH!T but he wanted it done because some guy was coming today to roll the lawn to smooth out the bumps. I even trimmed in the dark. I told him when he came out the lines will be uneven and i probally scalped alot when trimming but he didnt care. It sucked because i would have done it today but i already had other stuff to do. To bad i dont have night vision goggles :p so who else here has ever cut in the dark? ;)

(P.S.) thank god for the Meg-mos last night :drinkup: )
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

We finish in the dark almost every day this time of year. I've finished many a clean-up with the headlights of the truck on the lawn.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

About five years ago I was doing a leaf clean up job and I had to use the headlights of my truck to see the lawn to finish bagging it. Not fun!!
  4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

That's one of the reasons I mounted driving lights on my Scag TT. Too many times last fall I was working after it turned dark. Doesn't help much with the trimming, but works great for mowing and cleaning up leaves.
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Lights are going on our Standers today for just that reason. An extra hour of production a day times five days adds up....
  6. MikeLandscaping

MikeLandscaping LawnSite Member

It does suck in the dark especially while doing fall clean ups cause you cant see at all the only way to work is start early in the morning like 6 am and work till dark then your golden but if you start at 7 or 8 in the morning your not gonna get many jobs done.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It IS that time of year. One thing that we do now and again if I find the time restraints to require it, it do all our trimming first. Then, we can just mow, using the lights. Some places are still really growing that we still need to trim them quite regularly.
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I was working hard in the dark one time, but man when the lights came on she was not like I remembered her looking at all!..........oh, you mean cutting grass.......sorry :cool2:
  9. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

Some of my best work is done in the dark ;)
  10. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

working in the dark isn't fun your right. But when the its raining for a day straight, you get behind. My method for handeling this is i bought one of those alternators that plug into my trucks cirerate lighter. It converts it into a plug in. I then bought one of those tri-pod helogen lights. I went with a 1000 watt dual light. It works great for those long nights. If i'm doing the back yard i just run an extention cord out back and plug it in. Over all, it cost me about $80 give or take a few bucks. The light i got at www.harborfreight.com for about 40.00, the alternator was about 30 a 150' extention cord. Money well spent if you ask me. Figure thats about one lawns worth durning the dark to pay for it.