Ever work with one of those "WE SLACKED" guys.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Jun 8, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

LOL...Today our mission of a drip install was going to be easy quick>simple..

Hoss wanted me to do this and do that...I said,"look I'm going to grid out everything you do the rest"...

i was asking him to:

install the valve/reducer/filter/wire the valve/get under the walk..

In 8 hours that should seem like a pretty fair idea.

Mind you i am Humped over with kneepads on getting the:
    trenching-through web root-
    Making right connections-all day long
    Designing
    Putting in staples ever 1 or 2 feet...
    Working on the feeds for the zone..
    cleaning up my section of the install

I Pop in about 400 feet of drip through a serious soil, staple the hell out of it,make all the right connections,design it..
    I went through 2 bags of T's...

So after he digs up the walk, and as per usual on a Friday, there is another walk under it..He couldn't even get a 1/2 piece of poly for the sleeve thats how tight this walk way was....No big deal...These things happen..So he has no option to put ram and bury it back.Finished @ 2 PM.....I feed the 4 way of ram...Next thing I'm cleaning up my 400 or so feet mess looking nicely and working towards the reducer/filter....He digs the trenches for all of this stock about 2:30...
    During mid rake up I see him running around.GREAT! He busted the back flow 14 GPM is pouring out the side of the house...
    Luckily the brass fitting(female thread 1 inch) broke..So he has threads to make a connection..He does and quickly gets the water shut off...If that were PVC would of been all DONE! so I'm dealing with his situation.While he was @ the truck, I had 1inch 1/2' 10 ft long piece keeping the water off the side of the house....He get's the caretaker with key to come by and turn water off @ supply we wrap up...
    Almost entirely packed up he goes,"We kinda slacked today." Mind you all that this was after I spent 6 hours on knees,breaking my back to get it done...He comes back @ 11 Am after not even touching a shovel or tools bucket until 11:30...So he puts in 3 hrs on the job and breaks something and
    "WE SLACKED"?????????

I let him have it...Anyone of you ever worked with this kind of guy?

Was I wrong to tell him why "WE" werent slacking..HE WAS...
    A hard days worth of work and @ the end someone says you "SLACKED"....

thats a pretty good way to get a rise out of me.....

Sorry to blog..PICS>>>
    [​IMG][/URL] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

2. I phrase I look to use when somebody throws the "we" word out there is: "Whose this we Tonto?"

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

I was furious.

my initial response was:

MY BACK HURTS....I DIDNT SLACK......FACT.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No picture of the backflow gushing water?

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If it was PVC, then you glue a ball valve on open, and shut it once the glue dries.

Not fun, but doable.

The craziest thing I've ever done was hotswap a 1" valve teed off a 4" Line.

There was no way to shut it off, the valve was above ground, the tee was about 1' in the ground, we needed to drop the valve below ground. I dug a big hole. Tefloned up a brass street el and spun it into a brass valve (Ford Shutoff), go everything ready to go and then unthreaded the the nipple from the tee and spun on the new valve.

I was completely soaked but I did the entire swap in about 15 seconds. You have to leave the valve open or you'll never get it threaded.

6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I love it when the employee is sitting on a mower, I am trimming and blowing... and when we're all done, he's out of breath telling me "Wow, that was a b!tch" I dont get it, is it that much work running a couple levers back and forth?

Or after he blows leaves into a pile, I tarp them and drag them to the trailer, load after load. He has the nerve to complain about his shoulder hurting from the strap on the blower!?!

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

Your buddy and my boss should start a business together.

8. Rotar just curious. Does your boss know about Lawnsite? Are you sure he isn't reading your comments. I've learned that employees and owners can be a little sensitive to comments made by people close to them.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Can he even read?

10. I'll put you to work.....I won't say you slacked.....I appreciate a guy that gets down and dirty....come on out for a couple weeks...I'll save up 8 installs....we'll do them together....seriously.....