Evergreen Tree is dying Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffithtlc, Apr 22, 2004.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc LawnSite Member

If anybody has any ideas whats going on with this evergreen tree Please help. The customer has a line of trees in her backyard and this is the only tree that looks like this. The rest are ok. The customer also said she had somebody else take a look at them and said that if the tree roots grow over a buried power line it can cause this? There is some buried power lines in her back yard. The pic shows the difference between the trees.
    Could it be a lack of iron?

Any suggestions are appreciated. We are going to go back and take a soil sample and see what the ph is of the soil also.

faraway.jpg

2. griffithtlc

Here is a close up:
    Again thanks for any help

closeup.jpg

3. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

ITs hard to tell just from a picture. Testing the Ph is a good idea. Spruce trees need a highly acidic soil to thrive. It could be any number of problems ie. poor drainage (thus over watering), under watering, the brown tips suggest you might have some type of blight, or if there are little flecks of white out by the tips where the new shoots come together and some little thin spider web like material in the tree then you probably have spider mights. It could also be aphids. THe buried power line thing sounds a little hookie to me.

4. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt it is buried power lines. They don't like wet feet so could be a drainage problem. HOw long have the tree's been there? Could be something happened when it was put in the ground. I have some pines at a site that were planted (not by me) with twine around the stem and it grew and caused girdleing. Tree lasted maybe two/three years before it died. Many different things could have happened since it takes a long time for trees to respond. Could this be herbicide damage?

5. griffithtlc

When she talked about the power lines i thought that was pretty odd to. I have never heard of that before. Trees touch power lines that are above ground all the time and never seem to have a problem.

From talking to her again today there is a underground drainage that goes through her backyard. She lives at the end of a culdesac and she said when there is a hard rain, it all drains through her property. Drainage problem could possibly be it.

Thanks everyone.

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

it looks like it is planted to deep and is suffocating!

to deep will also make you think its drownding,,,,,

weedeater damage around the base of the tree?

red mites?

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

its probably a mite.

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen some of that before but in a very bad state and the problem were mites. Mites will eventually kill the whole tree.
    If it is mites and you dont treat the problem fast enough your other trees can become host to the mites too.
    PC

9. WAGS LandL

WAGS LandL LawnSite Member

Take a sample of the branches to your local ag ext for an analysis.
    The purplish color to the branches looks like it could be caused
    by a fungus (possibly sphaeropsis/diplodia). I have also seen
    firs look like that when there is a lack of magnesium in the soil.
    The other suggestions are good as well. Oh, exept the underground power lines (sounds like a line of s&#@ to me).
    Good luck.

10. AustinCharles

AustinCharles LawnSite Member

It looks like spider mites

try iceotox (sp)