Evergreen tree pruning

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cgaengineer, Apr 4, 2008.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have a customer that wants an evergreen tree growing up to the second story window cut so that she can see out of the window. I am not sure of the type of tree it is but they are popular around here. The tree looks similar to a leyland but is the same diameter all the way to the top and right now is about 18-24 inches in diameter (leaf diameter not trunk). She wants me to cut the top out of it and I am not sure if it will harm the tree to remove the top. These types of trees are frequently planted at the ends of houses.

This tree is very similar to an Italian Cypress and maybe some variant.

If someone is familiar with this type of tree and how to prune/butcher please enlighten me! I dont mind telling the customer that it has grown too large to prune but I dont want to kill the tree by taking the top out of it or even worse, making it look stupid.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like removal of the tree is the best option as it has grown too large for topping and will most likely result in the tree dieing anyway. I will explain to my customer that removal is the best option and we can plant something that will not get out of control.