Everride engine-to-deck belt come off...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, May 17, 2007.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The strangest thing happened today, I was mowing along, not really doing anything fancy or stupid, didn't hit anything and no real roughness, wasn't going but maybe 1/4 stick, grass wasn't thick or tall or anything at all...

Suddenly the blades stopped running, I tried pushing the PTO and it would engage for a split and then stop again, so I stopped the machine, got off and looked...

The main engine-to-deck belt had come off, the one that's secured via the spring-loaded lever, which I released... I checked everything, the belt is almost brand new, no cracks or tears, no other apparent defects.

I got it back on, checked everything again, saw nothing out of whack and the belt had plenty of tension so I started back up, was fine the rest of the day.

Has this ever happened to anyone?
    It was a first for me, I suppose maybe a stick got up in there between pulley and belt?
  2. cntrline

cntrline LawnSite Member

First thing I would check the deck adjustment, should be leveled with the back edge 1/4" higher than the front. If that's ok it may have just been a stick, I had a hydro belt knocked off one time like that.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Everide has had a belt and pulley problem on some models in the past. You probably need to check on this with your dealer. They most likely have factory service notice out to dealers on how to modify your machine to fix this.
  4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Have a 44 Proline wb a guy sold cheap because it kept wearing out and throwing the same belt. Previous owner was very frustrated with it.

Both pulleys, engine/pto and deck drive pulley, were clean and no play in them.

I mounted two flat idler pulleys on the deck at the back of the deck, one on each side outside of the blade drive belt, barely in contact with the belt. The pulleys are tall enough that I can get all the cutting heights but one.

Had to cut a couple arcs in the deck cover to clear the top of the pulleys when the deck is high. It is obviously not stock, but don't look bad.

No belt problems since, over two years. Very smooth belt motion, almost no lateral vibration. If it continues and you are out of warranty, it might be worth considering.
  5. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Check your spindles if you have a warrior! My dad has two of them and every 125-175 hours the spindles go out! He is growing tired of them failing. and is probably switching brands this year!
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wow dang that blows, mine's only got 40 or so hours on it, I don't suppose that is the problem but I sure hope they fix this... Maybe your dad can see about finding aftermarket spindles, or more specifically: bearings...