1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

EverRide Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Military Lawns, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I know that this subject has been breached on many occasions. However, I just put a deposit down on a 54" 27HP Kohler Command Pro, EverRide. Here's the deal, my dealer purchased these prior to the meltdown. Now that Ariens has made the purchase of factory and opted to continue the line. My dealer is discounting new but older models. His price is $5900 w/ROPS. This mower retails for close to $8900. The factory warranty is in effect and he has offered me three oil changes and services.

Now, I am a business man and though I am partial to the Kawaski's this is a very good deal. I am looking for opinions on the mower's overall performance, specifically the Kohler Command Pro. All of my experience has been with the Kawi's.

Tidbit: the hydros are 12cc which in my opinion offers a decent flow reference performance.

Any caveats?

2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I, also, have been partial to kawi engines. I have the same 27 kohler on my super z... and have been pleasantly surprised by its performance and reliability. 800 hours... 0 problems... and you won't have to adjust valves.
  3. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have purchased 5 Warriors and am very satisfied. They are all Kawi's though.
    Great heavy duty machine with excellent access for all servicing needs.
  4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I've had mostly Kohler engines 22 to 27 hp. I like my Kohlers much more than my Kawi's. I'll try very hard to never buy another kawi.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Same here...............
  6. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought 2 ever rides. Id tell you how they work, but havent got a chance to use them yet, (snow).
  7. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Please compare and contrast the two engines in your opinion. As I said before, I have no experience with Kohler.

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

The Kohlers, I've used for 7 or 8 years before they started to burn oil. I replaced them with 27 Kohlers. I heard from my mechanic years ago, that the fuel should be turned off during transport with Kawis. The needle valve in the carb screws up and fills the bowl with gas.

I bought a JD stand-up with a 23 Kawi. We didn't LIKE this machine, so it was only used in an emergency. It didn't take long before it lost power, and needed the valves adjusted. It NEEDS to go again.

The Kohlers have hydraulic valves which have no adjustments. I Do recommend 5w 30 synthetic oil so that tthe valves move smoothly when the engine is cold in COLD weather.

Many people HATE Kohler and LOVE Kawi. This is just my experience.
  9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at a Ariens dealer Saturday.
    He said that Ariens Corp.will not be backing the warranty on machines that were made befor they bought Everride.
  10. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

The only business sense that makes is if there's something they know about the quality of some component and know that a lot of warranty work is going to be required. Why muddy the name?