Everride Warrior. 26 Briggs ELS Opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Jul 5, 2008.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

A local guy is selling one of these with low hours. I heard they have different pumps and wheel motors than the Kohler 27 and Kawy 25. Is this true? All opinions welcome.

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

All the same execpt the engine check everride.com you can get all specs there

3. edgarpoe

edgarpoe LawnSite Member

Same as above, the Briggs warrior is the same as the others, except the engine. For what it's worth, I'd stay with the kawi or kohler. I have the 27 horse Kohler, and it's a great engine (I've only blown the crankshaft oil seal once). My experience with larger Briggs motors (15+ hp) is very poor. My brother's 23 hp Kohler has not been in the shop for engine matters since he got is exmark in 2003. I know Kawi fans likely have similar stories.

I know there is a price difference (briggs is cheaper), but you get what you pay for when it comes to Kohler and Kawi engines.

4. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from the briggs on this machine under powered dealer had one in shop for a month trying to get it to run right

5. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

my dealer put me on a briggs demo once while my kawi unit was in for service. I swear that thing felt like it was running about half speed of the kawi unit. MY advice for a commercial unit stay away from the Briggs on an Everride.

6. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Sorry but you guys are wrong. The Kawi/Kohler engines get Parker wheel motors. The Briggs units get Hydro-gear wheel motors.

All Warriors have the same Hydro-gear 16cc pumps.

If you download the manual on the everride site you will see 2 types of wheel motors listed but doesn't tell you why. Call Everride they will tell you that the Briggs units use the less-expensive Hyrdro-gear wheel motors.

7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I thought I had remembered that being the case, but I didn't want to open my mouth only to have to insert my foot!

8. edgarpoe

edgarpoe LawnSite Member

Sneaky...hide it inside the parts manuals to find out which brand of wheel motor gets used. I'm glad someone dug deep into it.

I looked at the briggs warrior that was on the dealer floor, and it looked exactly like mine, except for the engine. I did look at the pumps...but I didn't pay exact attention to the wheel motors. They look the same from standing over it.

How much cheaper are those hydrogear motors? Parker makes great stuff, but I am not aware of Hydrogears reputation as it concerns its hydraulic motors.

Note to everride: Make these kind of differences known in the brochure, and not hide them inside a parts manual.

9. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Some of you worry way too much, wheel motor is a wheel motor! I have ran Every motor option that Everide makes and the 27 Kohler is topps in all aspects IMO and the Briggs is fine is you are small maybe 50 or less accts I have had 3 now 2 Kohler and 1 Kawi and they all have been great with over 3000 combined hours very few problems

10. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I've heard Hydro-gear owns Parker. I'm sure HG motors are fine, may just be at a lower price point and not has bullet-proof as the parkers. Then again, by buying the ELS you're not getting a commercial engine either. I'd spend the extra and get the Kawi or Kohler.

Any tried a Everride Hornet? I'm looking at a 23HP /w 52" deck. I really wanted a Warrior but I can't find a deal on a new one. So I'll settle for a Hornet. I can't really find any information.