everride warrior balling up under deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, May 5, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

new machine

there seems to be lots of build up under the deck and it's dropping small grass chunks every once and a while.

the deck seems to have plenty of rpm(it sounds like i'm about to lift off the ground) it just doesn't seem to blow out the discharge very far. it doesn't blow the clippings as far as i had predicted. i'm not sure if it's an air flow problem?

today was my first day mowing and the grass seems dry to the touch but we have had lots and lots of rain lately so the grass seems very full of water.

anyone know what the problem is?

under deck pictures to come.

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

try fluid film

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

That is interesting because thats the complete opposite of everything I have ever heard about the everide mowers. Have you checked the pitch of the deck yet to see if the dealer actually set the mower up correctly? Post some pics up so we can see whats going on.

4. grass disaster

i have not checked the pitch.

everrideck 001.jpg

5. grass disaster

6. grass disaster

7. grass disaster

this was my first day to mow with it. i was doing dethacthing and it looked about the same maybe it's just too muddy and wet out.

everrideck 004.jpg

8. grass disaster

i got these same results when i put gator blades on my zd18 when the lawn was wet it would just seem to stick to the top of the deck and not discharge. i would stop the blades and all the wet grass would fall off from underneath.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh good lord thats really bad. I am assuming thats a brand new mower right? The only thing I can tell you to do would be to check the pitch of the deck and make sure its right and even then I dont know if the the pitch was off if that would make any difference.

Maybe some everride guys will hop in here and be able to help you better than I can because I have never owned one of those before.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Is this with the OEM blades that came with the mower or did you buy more?
    If so they likely sold you Lo lift ones, why almost NOBODY carries high lifts...

This below is a bit more bs:
    Probably every single lawn mower manufacturer they always set the dang blades too far UP inside the deck! All of my Toros and the Everride have always done this crap but once I pull the blades DOWN a little bit things improve (that is, to pull them down without lowering the actual deck).

What you do is pull a blade so you have the bolt, then you need to find (or buy) THREE 1/8" washers (one for each blade / bolt)... The reason you pulled the bolt is you want the washer's hole to fit snug onto the bolt. Most washers the size of that hole are about an eighth of an inch thick, so don't get the thin ones but also don't go more than 1/8th (if such exists) and all you need is one per bolt because the bolt ain't long enough...

So then what you do is you stick the bolt through the blade as usual but right THEN you drop a washer on top of the blade...
    So it sits up underneath the rest of the bs that goes on it and then since it's below the spindle this in effect lowers the blade.

Watch out now, your dial-setter is now 1/8th of an inch off, so you will have to adjust accordingly... But I do this to most if not all my mowers, always drop those blades DOWN, one other thing you have to watch out for is scalping one but be careful around tree roots and rocks because your blades will hit stuff easier now.

Other than that this has been my somewhat permanent solution to this pita problem.