Every 5th Day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KBW, May 1, 2003.

1. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

Of all my customers ( aprox. 15 ) only one of them has a thick/lush lawn. It gets chemically treated and has a sprinkler system. It is tall fescue. I cut it at 4" , owner's request, and am having to double cut to clean it up to look nice. I am discharging w/ double blades (gator mulch on top, stock Marbain that came w/ it on the bottom) on a new 48"Gravely w/ 15 hp kawi. Do I tell my customer I need to cut it every 5th day or do I raise my price for having to double cut or bag the clippings? Thanks for any advice...KW

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tell them that you need to go to a 4 or 5 day cutting schedule. You should try to use the 1/3 rule and explain that it is best for the health of the lawn. The way it sounds like it's growing you will need a 4 or 5 day schedule to cut 1/3. I have a couple of these myself and mow every 5 days. ED

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I've worked for people before who got their lawns treated for free... 1 guy had a sprinkler system, the other guy didn't. However that year was exceptionally wet. So I would cut both of them 2X per week, sometimes 3x per week. I know a guy has a bunch of clients that say cut the lawn 2x per week. I guess he cuts them on Mondays and Fridays?

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

If the job requires extra work or cutting more often, you need to explain that to the customer. If I were you I would charge for the xtra work. I do not work for free and any extra work that has to be done the customer gets charged.

5. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

I also have a Gravely, and I run the mulch kit on it at all times. I have never had problems, and one of my customers is maybe not as thick as yours, but lush.

One pass, no side discharge, and no bagging.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Double cutting sometimes has to be done, but it doesn't necessarily take you twice as long to do a job. You're not doing twice the amount of trimming and your second pass on the mower can be done faster too.

Maybe charge them 50% more for double cutting? A $50 lawn now becomes $75 IMO.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I mow a lawn just like that. I went to mow it yesterday for the second time, and its growing unbeleivably. I just tell them that during the spring i need to cut it every 5 days or so cause otherwise it grows out of control. They said that was fine, and now we both are happy. Just discuss your issues with them, and hopefully they are normal people and will understand.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would definitely talk with the customer on this one. The lawn is going to require more time then you originally thought. I would either go with Rodfathers suggestion and just charge them more or go with the more frequent cutting. Make sure you explain to the customer why you are having to do this.

Gravely_Man

9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have a similar situation, after talking with the owner I am on a five day cutting schedule, seems like they are willing to pay for extras so I'd talk to him about more frequent cutting.

10. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell them yu will cut itas you see fit, otherwise tell them to find someone else...