every other week accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ince8728, Jun 7, 2004.

1. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

I am 16 and have a small landscaping buisness (16 accounts) but i have a problem. i am doing 5 out of my 16 accounts every other week because the customers want it on a set scheduel. Usually if the grass doesn't need to be cut one week in the summer i will skip but not in the spring while the grass is growing like crazy! And unfortanitally i agreed to this, I am going to keep them for now but what should i tell them for next year? (don't hold anything back, speak your mind because i need to know from more experienced pro's)
  2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Just tell them that during the spring, the grass grows too fast for every other week cuts, and that it puts a lot of stress on the mowers to try to keep up. Tell them that you can do it when summer gets here, but not in the spring. I refuse to do every other weeks in the spring. Just remember, Your equipment is an investment.
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i had one that wanted an every 10 day schedule...I did it for the first 3 cuts then dropped it...(this is my first year)...but i dont want to deal with the hassel of hooking up my trailer and driving for one account...

I am strictly an every week guy.
  4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a few 10day-2 week clients, I tell them in the spring I will cut every week if needed. The good thing is I have accounts around them, so if and when it does go to 10 days to 2 week cuts, if it does'nt need it I move to the next property, I also do that with my weekly cuts. I judge when and if it needs cut, I have too many other clients to get to, instead of dropping the deck and not cutting squat.
  5. FreshCuts

FreshCuts LawnSite Member

I have a couple of accounts that are every other week. I explained the differance in weely and bi-weekly, and that I wont guarntee the clean manicured look if doing bi-weekly. The grass just gets too tall. One is in a real rual area and she really doesnt care what it looks like as long as it gets cut. I try to do every week.
  6. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I have one. They want it cut bi-weekly on Fridays and with the lowest setting. It is a big PITA but I get 80 for it each time. Keeps me happy.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

never, ever. i always tell them once a week, but if it needs not be cut a couple times over the summer, i'll skip it. but, strictly at our discretion
  8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

next year make them sign a contract that says: every other week or AS NEEDED. or you could start charging a set fee for the month, and you just do it when its needed so it looks good, you might do some work in the spring for free but it will balance out during the summer when it does not grow so fast and it may need it only every other week.

or you can make the price of every other week the same as if you cut it twice at once a week.
    hope this helps.
  9. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

I have had a few of those ,even ones that let me get things unloaded then tell me Idon't think it needs mowed this week so now I tell them I mow weekly or in the case they don't feel it needs it . It will cost them 1.5 x the weekly rate,and sometimes depending on the lawn 2x as much and more often than not the tightwads decide the weekly cut will be just fine
  10. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I do weekly and every other week. I charge accordingly. If someone wants every other week then I up the charge by 33%. I give a weekly price and a once every 2 weeks price. I explain to the customer the reason for the upcharge ie. more time wear and tear on equipment. The customer now has the choice to make. This way I get paid a fair price and the choice is the customers. It also gives the customer an option if there budget does not allow for weekly service.