Every other week comment? What to say!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kemmer, Jul 6, 2004.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

so far iv had 3 customers ask me if its OK for me to cut every other week. AND IT'S A PITA! what should i say to them? mainly b/c its annoying to have to change your schedule around b/c of them and also IM LOSING MONEY!:angry: is there anything i can do since im 16 and dont have any contracts?

So what should i say to them?
  2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

No. Its really as simple as that.
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

tell them, "fine, no problem, but the cost per cut will have to be raised due to the extra time i'll be spending coming every other week." Tell them there will be more to mow, blow, and clean, coming everyother week, so the cost has to be adjusted.
    do they want you come every other week cuz the grass is slowing down? Explain to them thay you do more then just cut grass. the beds have to be turned, the walks blown, the curbs cleaned, etc. etc.
  4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

you need to become a salesman!

a salesman would sell them on all the negative aspects of cutting every other week!
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Snowyleaf, 80% of my accounts are every other week. I don like it but thats just the way it is in my area, I would like to have all weekly accounts and I got smarter this year and started charging more for the bi-weekly ones. I now push any new clients for at least every 10 days and I tell then the more often I do it I will pass some savings on to them.

Quality Lawn Care
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I had a customer call me yesterday while I was in the pool enjoying my evening........................
    He says,"The grass doesn't need to be cut tommorow,come back in about 2 weeks." So this will be 3 weeks till it's cut.
    Guess what?
    He isn't long for the schedule.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just tell them that its diffcult to schedule them, and if they want to remain on every other week then the price will increase
  8. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Why is it so hard to schedule? If you have 2 customers then do one one week and the other the next in the same slot. If you have ten, so what? I dont see why everybody makes a big deal out of this. The grass here doesnt grow that much in the summer so its not like im doing any extra really.
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two customers who want me to mow their yard every ten days, and frankly, it's tough to argue against it because their lawns really don't grow fast enough to justify weekly service at this point.

My rates are based on per-cut fees, so I kinda set myself up for this, but I also wrote my business plan based on a certain number of cuttings per customer per year, so this really does not warp my numbers horribly or anything.

I don't intend to make a fuss because its not a huge issue to me for the customers who have asked for it. In one case, they live in the neighborhood, so it's easy to get by there whenever. In the other case, she lives about fifteen miles out and I'm going to ask her to find someone else soon anyway 'cause it just takes too much time to get there.

On the other hand, the lawns that are a little ways away from home and are part of a cluster...I'll have to resort to saying that either it's every two weeks (and a few bucks more per cut based on the extra work) or ever week, their choice.
  10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

why are you guys basing it all on the grass growth? I know to the customer it seems like everything, but its not. We all do more then cut grass. Point out to them the extras that need to be done, other then just cutting grass.

point out how you have to blow off the patio's for the weekend parties, weed the beds, etc. the list goes on. CONVINCE them you don't want to neglect the "property", regardless of grass height.