every other week

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jaybrown, Jul 20, 2013.

1. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I do not cut every other week lawns. I tell potential customers this on the phone before I even do the estimate. People mowing in SUVs pulled there Craftsman mower and mowing eow just to make some cash is ruining this industry. Not that this is you, however, you don't need a cheap customer that wants a lawn cut eow. Be patient if you do good work, the business will come. Mowing thick grass every other week is a good way to wear out your equipment and the customer doesn't care one bit that you are out of work.

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

I told them I only do every week It's an $80 property so I don't want to lose it

3. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a way to compromise if you don't want to lose the lawn or replace them. Personally, unless there's next to no growth I will not do eow. Too much work unless the growth is very slow and too much scheduling hassle. While every part of the country is different, I don't take on one time or eow cuts.

4. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't agree more. Even in the beginning and before I found this site. I did not do every other week cuts. I have lost lawns because of this and will continue to. I also stopped doing one time cuts in 2012.

5. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

I dont play those games. I dont take on bi weeklys unless I cream it on the price. People who want bi weekly are cheap and most often dont care what their lawn looks like as long as its not a jungle. Most could care less about the detailed stripe patterns or the clean cut edging.bi weekly lawns are always going to be way more work to majntain and dull your blades out quicker. The properties will look unmaintained and neighbors will ntoice. Not something to put ones brand on, atleast not mine.

6. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

This is exactly what I do. I also have under my FAQ page something like EOW lawns leave clumps, and we often get complaints. This is an easy fix if your lawn was mowed weekly.

I did a lawn a few weeks ago. The young lady complained like hell. After she was done complaining, I explained to her why the clumps were there and why I wasn't picking them up without getting paid for it. Then she admitted to reading that on my website.

I do what the customer wants as long as I get paid. They can pay me for EOW, and they can pay me more to get the clippings out.

7. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Offer to mow every 10 days as a compromise.

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

You should always avoid anything "negative" if possible. That is a terrible thing to "advertise" on a website.

10 day schedule = scheduling NIGHTMARE!

9. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with posting it. They know what they're getting with eow and you cover your arse. Eow is a pain in the butt and posting it lets them know what they're in for during the growing season.

10. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes. Yes there is. It's the MANNER in which you convey your info.

What he posted is HORRIBLE. You can convey the same info without using "negative" words - words that whether you understand it, or not, reflect upon you and your business.

It doesn't get ANY more "negative" than THAT.