Every Other Week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Aug 4, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't take on new customers that want every other week cutting anymore. I do have a few veteran people who I've worked for for years that I will cut eow, but I get paid properly for these accounts and I don't mind. New customers are all weekly. Current customers that ask for eow mowing are told no. I do not mind skipping an account in a dry week, but that account remains a weekly account after the skipped week.

There are very few lawns that really only need it eow. Mostly, people who want it eow are just cheap and don't want to pay you for proper regular mowing. If you do take an eow account, most likely you are going to be busting your butt eow to make it look nice. Mowing twice, more cleanup, more wear and tear on the equipment. And chances are, you aren't getting paid properly. That means you are screwing yourself to please a customer that doesn't want to pay for proper mowing, and whose motivation is to save some $$ not having it mowed weekly.

I understand that some of the newbies need to take these kind of accounts to just get work. If so, make sure you charge properly. Make sure they understand that extra length and extra time spent mowing will get extra charges. Make sure you are getting paid properly for your work. Don't get screwed out of your time and $$ just to have work. Outline for them exactly what you will be doing, how often, and for how much. And don't let them dictate to you further delays. It's your business, be the boss.

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

most of the people that I get that want EOW have a sand a weed lawn.

They think this means less work and less that I should get paid. On the contrary, Those weeds are tough on the blade and the sand is murder on the whole machine not to mention my eyes and lungs.

EOW is for cheap bums and piker LCO's. If you want your lawn to look like crap you can do that yourself. If you want it to look nice call a professional.

My humble opinion

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i got a referral call the other day, lady wanted her lawn done EOW. I told her i was sorry i could not accommadate her into my schedule and forwarded her name and number to another landscaper in town who i work with on occassion since i know he's always looking for accounts.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have a few EOW week. Heck sometimes they should be every 2 weeks

5. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

I had to drop an account today actually because of this reason. The customer wanted it cut every other week, which I would have happily done--last summer. This summer has been one of the wettest on record, and I chose to get away from that property than do a crappy job with grass clippings all over the lawn because of letting it go for two weeks and making the lawn look crappy.

Jason

6. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Are you guys talking about a customer that you cut EOW the whole season? or someone that's non irrigated and just want's it EOW during the dry season? Like tideman said, sometimes they should only be cut EOW. Here in the NW we've had no rain in July and I have two non irrigated accounts that I only cut once. Sure I cut them the end of June and the first of Aug. but still only once in July. And you know, their're not always "cheap". There are a whole lot of places around here that are worth millions that don't have irrigation. Coarse it used to rain a lot more here in the past, making irrigation systems seem rather silly at the time. The City here even gives out signs to put in the yard "This Lawn isn't Dead, It's Just Sleeping" and the PC people are as proud of there brown grass as we are of our lush green. Weird aint it :)....

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is cool about the signs though. Smart idea!

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'm talking about lawns that grow and should be cut every week. Irrigated or not. Around here, at least, most lawns need to be cut weekly. Sure there are weeks in the summer when it's dry and there is a need to skip every now and then. But the majority of lawns need to be maintained weekly. Problem is, many homeowners don't want to pay to have them maintained weekly. They are cheap, don't care, etc. Trying to fit a lawn that's growing enough to be cut weekly into an EOW schedule is stupid and not-profitable.

There's been a few threads around here about customers who wanna be cheap and go to the EOW schedule. The lcos don't know what to do. Going EOW means more work, less price. My stance is don't do it. It's a waste of time and money, you're not going to get your $$ worth. All you have to do is listen to the complaining about the cheap-o's and you'll see it ain't worth the effort. IMO.

9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

let me add that i do have 2 EOW'ers in my schedule. both of them are very shady accounts on the same street . they could really stand to be on a 10-12 day schedule, but i cannot screw up my schedule that much. they're not bad accounts as far as being cheap, both pay quite well actually. they just simply don't need to be on a weekly schedule unless they're fertilized.

10. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

But mtd, how can you justify mowing a browned yard? other than saying "it's in the contract". It really doesn't need cut right? What I do , (this IS a yearly contract right?) is figure my contracts for 28-30 cuts per year. I cut sometimes in the spring every five days. it slacks off in mid summer (non irrigated) and picks up in the fall. it equals out. If a long warm fall brings a couple more cuts, I charge for each. Works for me!.....