Every sprinkler head needs a dog collar

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of Maxipaws and dog collars, did anyone here ever install the temporary collars that Rainbird made for using Minipaws on bare-seeded lawns?

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

What does it protect it from? The sun?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Bullcrap, they could have been installed correctly and a year later be full of debris.

4. I stand by my statement. If it is not fully retracting that is a different matter. If it is installed with a small lip above the soil/thatch it will be fine. It has drain holes and gravel should be placed around it but it isn't totally necessary.

5. irritation

Takes one time being run over by a heavy mower to put it flush with the ground especially if the yard is soft from rain. Most on a bed edge fill with debris in no time.

6. Wet_Boots

Turf can always build up and then the debris can fall in. That aside, they behave quite well once a system is opened up in the spring.

7. irritation

I like them but you can't argue they are low maintenance.

8. Medium maintenance.

I'm not wild about these z-machines running over everything. That shouldn't be used as a criteria on the product's quality. In installing them I set them in a good 8-10" off the curbs and beds. They can be adjusted to do a 190 and the splash gets the grass gap area.

9. Wet_Boots

Aside from crummy well water and/or low pressure, there figures to be a better choice than Maxipaws. I did a couple of systems with Minipaws during the one summer when Toro Super600 heads could not be had.

10. irritation

They are the highest maintenance head I have worked on. Too many moving parts exposed and if the can fills with debris you might as well dig it up and clean it out, the wrench is of little help.