1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Every Week Vs Every Other Week???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rgreeniii, Jan 13, 2007.

1. rgreeniii

rgreeniii LawnSite Member

Good Afternoon!!! I need some solid advice here... This is will be the second season for Teddy's Lawn Care. I usually mow my properties once every week. Several friends with lawn care businesses say they mow their residential and commercial properties every other week. Obviously, every other week would allow me to schedule more properties. However, once I've maintained a property for a couple of months, the grass is happy and grows far to fast to be cut every other week. I mow my own about every four days. Suggestions/recommendations are most welcomed :confused:
  2. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Weekly except in drought conditions. There is no way I could go every other week.
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, once a week is mandatory during peak growth season. However even here in Florida I cut back to every other week during Nov, Dec, Jan. My customers get billed 50% during this time. The extra time allows me to do mulch and bed rehabs. I actually make more money during this time of year. Plus it give me a chance for some much needed time off.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
    ericg likes this.
  4. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Its a seasonal business cutting grass, don't cut your season in half.If you can fill your schedule is one thing, but if your sitting home every other week playing with Mary Palm and her five sisters,thats not acceptable.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You're not too far from me...this past season I had good success with flat-rate monthly contracts instead of billing per cut. That's one way you could go.

For your standard, non-irrigated lawn in our area, the ideal mowing schedule would be every 4-5 days in April and May...then scaling back to weekly in June...many can go 10-14 days in July/August...then picking up again to 7-10 days in the fall. Of course this all depends on having a 'normal' year rain-wise.

Of course not many people would pay on a per cut basis for 6-7 cuts a month in the spring...so you can promote this as you will cut as often as needed throughout the year...the client doesn't have to monitor the growth to save a few bucks...

If you don't want to go with this billing, just stick to your guns...it's weekly unless YOU determine otherwise. Yeah I see a lot of lower-end commercials being done every other week, normally this is due to a tight budget but you'll see the LCO double/triple cutting on a normal basis :cry:
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I hear ya!! Mowing every other week during active growing is bad for grass and very hard on mowers. If customer wants every other week I just call a friend of mine and give him the # he just does it for extra $$.
  7. rotagilla

rotagilla LawnSite Member

Weekly April thru October, bi-weekly November thru March, 42 cuts per year.
  8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Why would you want to go bi-weekly? I have clients ask and I tell them I'd be happy to, but I'll charge them double.:laugh: And it won't look as good when I'm done either.
  9. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Every week here! Contract says the schedule.
  10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I'm going to charge by the month this year, cut in once a week in the spring then cut as needed and throw in a yard clean-up in fall.