1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Every Year I'm Quiting!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigtex, Mar 22, 2007.

1. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

I'm In Massachusetts And Every Spring I Go From Complete Bordem And Poverty In March To Chaos For The Following 3 Months.then Everything Evens Out. I've Been Cutting For 9 Years Now And Every Spring I Want Out But Keep Comin Back, Any Supporters Out There?
  2. I find myself less motivated now myself, reached my goals, think I'm gonna go and buy around 50 acres of ground, then I'll have to be motivated.
  3. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

been doing that for 20 yrs now it sucks but $$$$ is great..if i knew then what i know now..............
  4. christmas79

christmas79 LawnSite Member

Same here after 10 years I got out sold the business to my employes my house is the best landscape yard on my block and best of all they don't charge me!
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It is my belief that the longer you have been in business, the harder it is to stay motivated consistently. We are in our 9th year too, and i can remember the first couple of years come January, we were planning hard for the upcoming season. Now it's going on the end of March, and we wish the season wasn't nearing so close, and there are still a ton of things to do to be ready.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it's how much of the green industry is in you.

I've got personalized plates "We Mow" on one truck, this summer, the second truck is getting "We Mow 2" on.

I have no problem being motivated this time of year.

Yesterday I unloaded by hand 160 bags of fertilizer, but my season doesn't start for another month.

Lesco was running pay nothing until June '07, so I went and got my first round of material and put it in the shed.

For me it can't get here soon enough. I go from receivables of roughly $4,000 / month to receivables of $16-17,000 / month. Need I say more??
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Motivation - be better than last year, be the best on the block, and ya gotta roll! Go buy some new stuff - all nice and pretty but now it is time to play!

Ya gotta work hard to play hard and I don't stop for much. Its 4 am till 8 pm 6 days a week. Not for everyone but this is how we do it!
  8. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

opposite for me.... I'm burned out at the END of the season, contemplating the next... then come spring I'm all gun ho!!!
  9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I seem to follow carolina's thought process. By the end of the season all i am thinking about is where i want to go on vacation and why i want to work so hard for my money but i alwase am rearin to go in the spring.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Yep its funny, all winter no one even knows my name and then come the first week of 40's and 50's and I am the most popular kid on the block. Everyone has a job for me to do and some want it done yesterday. I have learned how to maximize profit on the excited customers and the laid back ones keep me sane. Its going to be 12 years now and I still like doing it but I do like getting into the lets just mow groove in May. It takes a while to blow the dethatching dust out of my nose but the intake of $$$$ is nice.