1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

everybody is low balling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 25, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

unreal, we set out 500 fliers in an upscale area. got 5 calls the first day, i was like this is great. gave them prices on full service, all of them. they were all around 6000 sq. feet. (turf) cuts were $30-35, fert programs $around $400 each. i was shocked when they all said way too high! most guys in the area are cutting for $20-$25, and charging per app at $40 ea. unbelievable. big companies too, ive seen them, $35, 000 dump trucks etc. also talked to a guy today . said he was charging $25 average, but had to lower it to $22 to compete. im really starting to think this business is just a minimum wage job, accept or move on. man, how discouraging.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I hear that brother! I've given bids in upscales around me for $40 for about a 20k hilly lawn and was told that the guy they have now is doing it for $25 and bagging it! Same deal too, new dump truck and a trailer full of goodies. I have lower overhead and still won't touch it for that price. I'd feel discouraged every time I had to cut it.
  3. LCAmerica2

LCAmerica2 LawnSite Member

I feel u guys. I'm from Michigan and the cost of living sucks first of all. Then i see all these fat truck and trailers doing lawns for as low as 10.00 (50x100) in some areas. I'm just barely making ends meet i have OK trucks and open trailers, but come on spread the wealth. Makes me the to go work in a cubicle and make more money.
    Lawn Care America
  4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

$25 for 6,000 sq. feet. That seems really good to me.
  5. Do not give in. Lowering yourself to those levels is a sucker bet. Stick to your guns and be patient. Let the competition fill up their schedule with loser accounts.
  6. I've turned down many "well some other guy gave me a $XX price and yours is higher, I would like to have you do it, can you cut it for this?".................

I don'y work for free.
  7. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

I got to agree with The Lawn Godfather, don't lower yourself. Remember it's your business, and you need to make the money, you can't run your business making minumum wage. noe of us can.;)
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea lgf, i have no choice. i asked one of the homeowners, "how long u live here?". he said 30 yrs. i said how long u been using services? he said 15. and u still havnt found one yur happy with? time to stop price shopping, and start asking how experienced they are, crudentials, and ask them a few "trick" questions. u know, most guys dont know what those 3 numbers on a fertilizer bag stand for? they dont know how to figure sq. footage, they dont even know what they are gonna put down for broadleaf control. ummm, yea, we use weed killer for dat. unreal. i aint lowerin my fees. my lawns look good. but, i was thinking, u know **** sells, if its cheap enough. i was thinkin about like mcdonalds. disgusting, heart attack, stomach ache food. but, there are over " a billion served" u know why? cus its cheap, and quick.
  9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I saw one of these low ballers out tonight at 8.30pm edging a property under the street lights....... Why?
  10. I don't know. Maybe he's alergic to the sun. Prolly desperate and doesn't know how to manage his time.