Everybody loves a good light show

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Waterit, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Had some lightning a couple of weeks back. One customer lost all his TV's, cable and DSL modems, several computers, coupla garage-door openers, microwave, dishwasher, security system, geothermal pump and thermostats, and pool pump/lights.

Oh yeah, also took out the ESP-24MC, 5HP submersible pump, control box, pump-start relay, 19 of 23 solenoids, welded together some of the control wiring in the conduit leaving the mechanical room and some direct-burial out in the field, and blew holes in the 2" mainline.

And here we were just running out of work...:clapping:payup

2. We had a discussion not too long ago about lightning proof house and irrigation system. I said if a FL guy can't help you then it can't be done. Do you concur?

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

according to his avatar image, he stoops to concur

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Wowsers! Do the locals have lightning insurance down there, or is it considered an act of God?

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

guy needs to get hydraulically-controlled appliances and televisions :p

6. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Look what I found... :laugh: New account, no idea what it does. Has 2 car batteries inside. It's not anywhere near the pump stations and the controller, it looks like the "Electro" you mentioned. Apparently they use them in FL. Can't find doodley squat on the I-net.

10172011322.jpg

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like an auxilary power supply for broadband, phone, fibre optics, etc. :dizzy:

8. jvanvliet

Could be, it's not near an ATT switch or a Comcast switch though; it's close to a FPL transformer; glad I don't have to worry about it.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

10. jvanvliet

Check with Kiril for a 100% fail safe grounding system to avoid all that damage.