1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Everybody WAKE up! Caution: Actual Work Question Here!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Drafto, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that I will be installing a paver driveway for, no problem. He wants to do "something different" with it, maybe design, maybe curves, maybe the pattern itself. Money is not an issue on this job he just wants it to be unique.

So here I am, I turn to my Lawnsite friends to help me with this one. The picture attached is 1 style driveway the builder offers, the other type is a circle drive (no pic).

I have a few ideas:

1. I do not like the circle drives b/c I feel the house is too close to the sidewalk.

2. I was thinking of doing an hour glass )( shpe form the inside corners of the garage to the sidewalk, dimensions like 30'-15'-20'. "I"pattern

3. I think a circle between the garage doors off the center of the house is a must, maybe a different type border????

Open your minds fellows, I am just looking to do things a little different. I will be on here for a while so if you have any questions please post them and I will answer.

Dan

DSC02935.jpg

2. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Leave room for plants, that place is going to need some. All I know is about driveways is that you have to have it wider at the entrance, so I am not much help. It doesn't look that functional to me. That is a weird turn into the garage.

3. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing the existing driveway looks like it will accommodate is a skidsteer. Pull in, pivot and into the garage you go.

Anyway, is the driveway depression only the width of those three sections of sidewalk?

4. Drafto

Mike - by "depression", to you mean apron or ramp? Yes, but it will come out or be made wider, whatever I decide.

I think the owner is leaning towards a circle drive, but I think they look hideous and as unfuntional as this one.

Dan

5. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Yeah, maybe you need one of those circles in the middle that can turn the car. You better tell him to have the house rebuilt :) .

6. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I am from Wilmington, DE, my parents still live there. Is it really going to be possible to drive a vehicle into those garages? To answer your question you need to shave a lot off the corners, make a big C on the right side and mirror it on the left. And as 25 said, leave room for plants. Do not take the pavers all the way to the house.

7. Drafto

Tony - Yes, that was what I was thinking when I said like an hour glass )(.
    Is that what you are saying too?

Ldscape25 - All the houses that are the same style are like this.

I just want to do my best to make my design, functional, and appealing to the eye.

Dan

8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

How about 2 drives; each one is angled to give a straighter shot into the garage. Think of it like a big "X" Maybe curve them some to soften things up some.
    You could plant the triangle by the road with something 15'-20' tall so that the view out the front of the house is not a roadway.
    It might give you some room for planting by the front steps too.

9. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Dan, referencing the picture you posted, with your "hour glass" design, where does the driveway meet the house and where does it meet the road?

10. Drafto

Mike:

I would probably go from the edge of the garage door, here is a pic:

drive_1.jpg