everybody's an lco

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Sep 11, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

did you ever notice that nobody is doin their lawn until you pull up?then all of the neighbors pull out their mowers and start to work .no matter what time of day i see this.it kinda like their saying he bud i got a mower too! do yall see this or is it just me?

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Not really, but i do it when other lco's are by my house. lol i dont know why..

3. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Actually I think everyone in my area is.

You can sit at the redlight during the day and I would bet money no less then 3 LCO trucks with HD equipment will drive by.

4. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

people do that by me also sometimes but the funny thing is my mower goes a whole lot faster then their mower and i think my yards look a whole lot better then their yards

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya, it's the "keep up with the jonses' syndrome" Just sit around home on a saturday or sunday and watch 1 neghibor fire up a mower and cut his lawn. I gurantee that noise of the mower will stir up at least 3 more homeowners to do the same. I see it everywhere I go.

My last house I moved into had basically weeds and dirt for a lawn, most all of the neghibors weren't much better. I rennovated the lawn, installed underground sprinkling and landscaped. Not to mention painted the house and added a fence. Well not suprisingly not long after I re-did the lawn, the neghibors tried to follow! Lawns were always mowed around me and attention was paid more to weed control. one even splurged and had a well drilled just to water the lawn. All to try to make their lawns look nice like MINE.
    Unfortunatley, the new home I moved too the neghibors aren't nearly as impressionable... Still the same weed farms and 2 foot high crap as it was before.

6. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

I would have to agree. I would also add that many of my customers come outside when we start to cut. They start picking up sticks or pulling out weeds or maybe even trim a small bush. It drives me absolutely insane when this happens. I have actually had to tell a few of them who would actually walk near me when mowing or trimming, how dangerous it was to do this. What the $#@! is this about.

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

around here when i start cutting a yard... everyone else in the neighborhood loads a mower on their truck and goes somewhere else in town to cut

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont really notice that down here, however something I do notice is how lawn mowing is now a spectator sport. I will pull up to a account, the neighbors across the street get out the lawn chair with a beer and watch me work. Unbelivable.

9. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

This spring I picked up a property in a pretty "well to do" neighborhood.
    My client was an old friend's mom. Very nice older lady. She just wanted the lawn mowed so her neighbors wouldn't complain and her son (my buddy) was just too busy to get it done for her.
    So the first time I am there, I noticed that NOBODY has their sidewalks/curbing edged on the whole block and it looks pretty shoddy considering the "stature" of this neighboorhood and it's residents....
    So I really went nuts on all of the edging. Now her place REALLY stands out...
    Over the next few weeks...lo and behold, almost everybody has edged....lol
    People just can't stand to be outdone.... LOL :rolleyes:

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is part of what I mean when I say the comedy is all over the place and also what I mean when I say that 100-degree weather cuts the bs down to nothing, they don't come out so fast in July-August.

I really don't care much for it but I also no longer pay it much mind, what I found is if you notice it, it appears to happen even MORE often. They also know that once they get within a certain range, I stop in my tracks and don't move again until they are out of that range. But that one took time to develop, you gotta do it right or it doesn't do anything except they may look at you funny.
    Another one I noticed works good is while weed-eating certain areas when I shield my mouth with one hand while weed-eating with the other, they tend to realize this work can be painfully dangerous so now most of them stay inside the house. Also throttling the equipment a couple of times to get it out of that drone mode and cycling it through the powerband is a bit like letting them know this is powerful equipment and gets the mind out of the 'zone.'