Everyone be careful out there

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Bruiser, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Bruiser

Bruiser LawnSite Member

This happened in Round Rock, Tx (Austin area) yesterday. There aren't many details yet but it looks like he just happened to drill into a live wire.

2. Wow that is terrible. I can see how that happened though. I suspect he was drilling about shoulder high to avoid running the wire along the garage sheetrock.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Grounded drills. Don't leave home without them.

Reminds me of a time when I used to use a Remington powder-actuated tool to affix bolts and brackets into masonry garage walls (indoors) ~ this one time, I pull the trigger, and the stud simply vanished, as the masonry wall was actually a material like paper mache. Plenty hard to the touch, but it was simply a layer of steel mesh with mortar spread over it, and the steel had rusted away over the years.

4. Had to have hit a 220 dc line because if it was normal 120 ac, the way it pulses, body would of naturally had let go.

Now if the person had a bad ticker, well that's another story.

I know from personal experience of cutting through a live 120 wire with a saber saw while remodeling my house 2 years ago. Didn't see the wire under existing insulation. Zapped the saw blade and scared the heck out of me beside burning some of the insulation in the attic.

5. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I have some family in Round Rock. I'll have to ask them if they have heard anything about this story.

6. I have some beautiful works of art that used to be screwdrivers...as do most electricians....

7. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

They actually have stud finders that will also detect live wires behind a wall. A good tool to add to the tool box to save plenty of aggrevation down the road, if not a life!

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

are you talking about a plaster wall inside the house?

9. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

gusbuster check out percentages 120v kills more people than any other because it will hold on to you 220 will throw you off 440 will nock you off your feet.That why I'm not an electrican or as we call them down this way "wirenuts"

10. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

wetboots you talkin about DRYVIT or STUCCO one it's got foam on the inside