everyone be careful

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BerksLawn, Jul 3, 2001.

1. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

Everyone be careful now when pumping gas. When pumping it into a can pull it out of the car,truck,trailer and put it on the ground. Well today we were powerwashing a fence a guy was pumping and caught his trunk on fire. It could of been the end of my life if it wasnt for the workers. Well everyone be safe now because my dad tells me that even the static electricity can light it on fire.

2. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

:angry: Gasoline becomes flammable somewhere around -438 degrees F. (Give or take a couple hundred, but when it is that cold, who cares?) Gasoline also has a flash point of only 98 degrees. That means that any spark with at least that temp can ignite the fuel. It is amazing why more things don't just catch on fire when gasoline is involved...

Stay Safe... Or become an :angel: !
    Mark

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive worked at my dads gas stations he owns since i was a kid on the side from landscaping. one local roofer that comes in regularly, filled up a few cans and put them in the back of the pick up. the truck had no bed liner. static electricity started a spark and the whole truck went up in flames. i only use safety cans after i heard that story.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yes...it happens more than most people think it does.

A local preacher was badly burned a few months ago filling a metal gas can...and it was sitting on the concrete!

Static electricity caused a spark when he touched the pump nozzle to the lip of the gas can.

Ironically there was another preacher at another pump that rushed to his aid and helped roll him around while an alert store employee doused the victim with a fire extinguisher....whew! :eek:

I use plastic fuel containers now...PERIOD!

5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Last winter we saw a ladies car at the gas pumps that had completly burned. When I asked one of the employees at the gas station what happened they said that static electricity set it off.:angry:

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Our Lesco Dealer got burned in the face last year from working on a fuel line on a Lesco mower. Gas is dangerous, Be Careful.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My truck doesn't have a bedliner, well, not a plastic one anyway, but 1/4 plywood. That works doesn't it? I mean, it grounds any static electricity that goes through it. Everyone be safe out there, there's no room for a mistake like that. Like Berkslawn said, enough firepower and the whole station and every house down the street would be burnt to a crisp. Like my grandpa always used to say "We're too damn busy to have a funeral". That is very true. Be safe guys!

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Unless your truck has a static strap its not grounded til you touch the nozzle to the can. Think about it...

Plastic cans are the worst, the gas flowing into them creates intense static. Thats how cling wrap works.

Regardless of the type of can or bedliner its best to put the can on the ground, if something happens you can just get away.

9. Always have the can on the ground,

and the nozzle in contact with the can

This is the only way to be sure you will not have a buildup of static electriciy.