Everyone is into lawn care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by minix, Jun 19, 2009.

1. minix

minix LawnSite Senior Member

In my area it seems everyone is mowing lawns. There are plumbers, roofers and contractors that are now running around with Lawn Mowing on there trucks . If these guys where good at there 1st job they wouldnt need to go cut grass. I see a local plumber doing alot of yards and im wondering what they will do with there lawn clients when the economy gets better. I have seen more trucks running around with a rider and even a van with a mower hanging out the back of it.A guy that works for me said his neighbor just started a Lawn Care Buiss and I should stop buy and check out his truck and when I stopped over I about **** my pants it was a 83 ford F150 and it was lettered up with a black marker and said "We will beat any price" Its kinda funny in a way I guess.

2. Heavyduty1

Heavyduty1 LawnSite Member

People are just trying to eat. He might have 5 kids and a bunch bills to pay. Who knows, if your doing a good job at a decent you shouldn't need to worry. :)

3. Advanced Lawn Care  Inc.

Advanced Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Member
    from IN

They wont last anybody can cut grass... not to many can run a legit business though!!

4. Heavyduty1

Your right, a lot of fly-by-nighters will quit when the mower breaks down. But you got to start somehow, not everybody is born with a fleet of new mowers and $1 mil in contracts. :laugh:

5. SoGro

SoGro LawnSite Member

hey it sucks, understand people got to eat and have nothing wrong with new people getting into bus. But this year there are a ton of new guys going around and undercutting and driving the price down. I understand that these guys cant keep a business running at such low prices but still losing some accounts in the mean time. When I started my bus I had some years experience and kept my prices in the average range for around here. Just tell the customer that they can call me back when he goes out of business or does not show up

6. red12

red12 LawnSite Member

I seen a roofing company a few weeks ago pulling some pretty new looking WB

7. Heavyduty1

I don't see how people can work on those roofs during the summer. Has to be 140 plus at the roof. Maybe mowing is an easyer job. :hammerhead:

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I don't really worry about these guys anymore. I sell my quality and stability. I'll still be in business next year... they most likely won't. From what I have gathered, it's a real pain in the ass for someone to find a quality LCO that can also offer stability.

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

That's the main thing ... hang in there and you'll beat the "competition" !!

10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

In my area, as Ive said before, its the well established LCO's that are bringing prices down. I also have an upstart with all old used equipment or Toro Timecutters that the punk kids running them cant make a straight stripe with. They do lawns for less than I will drop the tailgate for. They can have em. The day I manicure the lawns of 20 Condos for 300 bucks is the day I retire.