Everyone likes free stuff...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by griffinz, Apr 11, 2008.

1. griffinz

griffinz LawnSite Member

Not sure how many of you are familiar with OpenOffice software. It is the equal to Microsoft Office... and it is free... no catch, no spyware.

I know how expensive things can get when you are starting up, as I am wanting to start up this season and it is getting EXPENSIVE :dizzy:.

Anyway it has the following...

word processing
    spreadsheets
    presentations
    graphics
    databases and more

And the best thing (besides being free) is that it opens and saves Microsoft files!!!:clapping:

This should save you a few hundred dollars! :laugh:

http://www.openoffice.org/

Regards,

Joe

2. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

thanks for the tip, yea everyone likes free stuff.....I will have to check this out

3. griffinz

griffinz LawnSite Member

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Just make sure you set the default "save as" as standard Microsoft file types or when you email a doc it wont open as its open document exchange or something along those lines. I install this software on an machine I build for someone or if they dont have MS Office...program works pretty well actually.

5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I love my open office. When I got to the point that I wanted to do more complicated things in the spreadsheet and advanced mailmerge, I found a part of their site that will explain how to do anything. I learned alot from it.

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I bought Word Perfect Office 11 five years ago for $13. But I'm an antiquated guy and started out with Lotus 1-2-3 in the early 80's at work and then they came out with Symphony. I can make WP Office do anything I need but would guess most people couldn't stand it these days. Open Office is probably much better.

7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

All the way.

Also I looked at your profile and you are exactly to the day 10 years older then me.

Lead the way.