Everyone Quit Today

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Patriots, May 17, 2006.

1. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Since the company began, 2 years ago, I have paid my employees hourly. This past month stop times and overtime had gotten so far out of hand that I was left with the choice of either firing everyone or changing the pay. We went to a per lawn pay, in which they would honestly make more money per week, when they gave me an honest week of work. The first three days they did twice as many lawns in half the amount of time - amazing. Then today they all decide they are working too hard and they want to be paid per hour - told em to get the hell out. The foreman of one crew made $135.00 for a ten hour day - don't tell me I am being cheep.

Long story short - I am looking for six full time guys in Fort Worth if anyone needs a job.
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck with that one, its always good to have a back up plan. You have probably figured that out.

I am always amazed how many different ways things can go given the words said or actions taken. Education is never cheap, you will have some time to reflect on what you could have done differently to avoid this condition. Good luck you will need it.
  3. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to lawn cutting, but $135 for 10 hrs = $12/hr + time 1/2 for overtime for the foreman sounds cheap. I guess it all depends upon where you live though.
  4. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Going rate in this area is between 8 - 10 per hour.
  5. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

If the going rate is 8 - 10 why not offer 11 or 12? Generally speaking, the more you pay the better group of employees you may bring in which not to sound like an ass but is something you could have done differently the first time around. Good luck to ya.. sounds like you've got your hands full :hammerhead:
  6. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

how about a combination of hourly with a commission as incentive?
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

In my area the average pay for an employ is 6 per hour and around 7-8 for a foreman. I thing 135 for some areas for 10 hours would be real cheap but not here. I agree though, if you offer better than average pay you will attract better than average employs.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Those hourly rates wouldn't cut it (sorry for the pun) in my neck of the woods for sure. :nono:
  9. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Can't pay them more than your making - going rate for a total lot size of less than 1/4 acre is between 24 and 27 bucks. So if I have 3 guys that are all making 12 bucks an hour and after a ,water/smoke/bathroom break everyother house, it takes on average 30 minutes to mow each house. So using Northern payscales is costs me $18 in labor, and on average $6 per lawn in expenses - you tell me how long before you are out of business.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

3 guys 30 minutes to mow 1/4 prop? You hire the blind?