Everyone should have an accountant!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought for years that the money side of the bus was no big deal, that I could crunch the numbers and figure out what I owed uncle sam and send a check. Well This year I decided I'd atleast meet with an accountant to see since it seems like I always have to write a fairly large (for being solo) to IRS. So I meet with her about two weeks ago and all I can say is WOW! She ran the numbers and found deductions that I never heard of. I only had to send in less then half of what I was use to. And the best part is she only charges $30 per quarter. I wish I would had done this years ago. EVERYONE should atleast talk to an accountant.
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

See if you can go back and redo you taxes and maybe get a refund.
  3. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

An amended return for the previous year(s) can get you money back for sure. We switched accountants, and our current one found a few things our old accountant did incorrectly and we ended up getting a nice check from the IRSto apply to last years taxes.
  4. britsteroni

britsteroni LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice even though most smaller operations won't listen. Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind.

EVERYONE that wants to take his business seriously and make it a profitable operation needs to have some help on this side of the business. Indeed many businesses fail because they don't think they need help with the books. Great advice!
  5. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If your in business make an accountant, lawyer and banker your three best friends.
  6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

well wich is better a accountant or h&r block?
  7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

An accountant that specializes in small business. DO not use HnR block
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it took certified letters from the IRS threatening property and asset seizure before I learned.

I think anytime you're dealing with an entity bigger than you, you need a buffer, in this case an accountant.
  9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

the reason i use h&r right now is the peace of mind i pay for, if the ris comes at me h&r block will take care of it for me.
  10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Frontier, are you sure on H&R? With a certified accountant most will go in your place if you are audited because they know not to offer the IRS any other info. The IRS likes when a persons goes to the office because it makes them nerviness and they start talking about different things and the agent is taking notes on what your saying.