Everyone should read this...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by markkemark, Feb 2, 2004.

1. markkemark

markkemark LawnSite Member

First of all I'm new, so hello...

I work at a nursery and in the winter I go to seminars and things just to fill time. I recently went to a Scott's training seminar to freshen up on the chemicals and ways to sell them to homeowners. The speaker was this man who had been with the company for a while and really appeared to know what he was talking about, and I'm sure he does. But, he did frighten me a bit when he said, "What if I was to tell y'all that right now, in a greenhouse, we have grasses that only need to be mowed once a month." I'm thinking to myself, that is terrible! And he continued to say, "We have also found a way to apply Roundup on the entire lawn (actively growing) and not show any burning of the grass and get a complete kill of both broadleaved and grassy weeds".

I raised my hand and said, "Wouldn't you loose money on all the other products that you sold, because now they only had to buy one product?"

He said, "Maybe, but they would definitely be buying allot more Roundup!"

My question is, does anyone see any problem with slow growing grasses that are cured of weeds with an easy homeowner application of Roundup? I DO...:eek:

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never heard of this. I will believe it when I see them coming out with it! (not saying that he didn't say that though) We do a little bit of chemical applications but I refer most of the work to a buddy so me not hearing of this is not saying much.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its been being worked on for years. Nothing new.

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

hes yanking your chain!

centipede already is a turf that is slow growing doesnt need much fert and is chinch bug resistant!

the growers quit growing it because it GREW TO SLOW for them to make any money on it! the homeowners didnt like it because it wasnt green enough and so on and so on!

just remember that even IF the rules in the lawn business change,,,,all you have to do is change your rules!

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem with roundup tolerant crops (we will cal the turf a crop here) is that pretty soon roundup tolerant weeds start showing up. then you have to come up with something else to combat the weeds anyway. This is happening in agriculture in roundup ready soybeans and corn.

6. markkemark

markkemark LawnSite Member

The way I understood him was that they had strains of many different grasses,(bermuda, st. Augustine, fescue, etc) that grew very slowly.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Any chemical if used enough on weeds will become tolerant after a while. Its all nature, everything will change genetically in order to survive. But they have been saying this for years.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i believe it. i also believe cassettes were invented before 8 tracks, and i belive cd's were invented before both 8 tracks and cassettes. i believe if you have an organ donar card, your chances of surviving an illness or accident that doesnt involve damage to your valuable organs are greatly diminished. i believe there is a cure for cancer, but the cure is cheap, the treatments are money makers. i believe money is the root of all evil. i believe there are only two people in this world i can trust, you, and me, and i'm not so sure about you

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

they have been working on the roundup feature for years now

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

How about the mowers that mow the grass themselves, or the lightbulbs that last 7 years, or the cars that run on electricity...............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im scared now.