Everyone take a stab.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hoskm01, Nov 1, 2007.

1. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

From a customer. He doesnt know where its leaking from. I didnt install it, never worked on this side of the yard. Havent been out to see it yet, got this in Email for a fix.

What is everyones guess on it?

Going for a moonlight fix tonight. Cant turn off water as ryegrass is coming in, must stay wet,wet,wet. Will take some delicious pictures.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Has that lawn genie/cheapo look..no flow control..what's the other?
    lawn life..external bleed..irritrol clone..nice they gave us philips heads
    to get the bonnet off...junk, replace it. What do I win?

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The simple 'fix' is to tighten all the cover screws, since the Richdel design was always prone to drips when the cover screws weren't torqued.

4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

was going to suggest a cracked bonnet from freezing..but in AZ, that seems unlikely. I'll go with boots and suggest loose bonnet....

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

looks like he'll need a complete system rework

6. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

The safest Richdel/Irritrol valve is a replaced Richdel/Irritrol valve. Dig that puppy up and put a DV in it's place.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I would replace it too, and (I expect to get flack for this) I have this past season with Irrigation Direct inline valves. They are a cross between a Weathermatic-style body an an Irritrol-style solenoid.

A DVF might be my second choice. Both good values. But I don't like the self tapping screws of the RB DV and ASVF series.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

No flack from me..gotta link to "Irrigation Direct"?

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Stick in a silver bullet. Although there is a slight chance it's not even the valve that's leaking. With all of that gravel, could be a hairline crack in the mainline and the water just seeks its own level (in the valve box).

But, 99% of the time it's probably just a bad valve:)

10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Sell him a ball valve in front of the electric valve and a valve box while you're at it.