1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Everyone & their Brother in the biz!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodbite, Oct 27, 2004.

1. rodbite

rodbite LawnSite Member

In central Florida. It seems everyone is getting in the biz. I see more cars, SUV's and regular vans pulling a Lawn Maint. Rig. I am tired already. Have another business idea i might jump on.
  2. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

u already in the business or looking to start up. there arte places here that are horrible but remember theres a lot more houses than lco's
  3. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Everyone and thier brother will be out of business by spring! :laugh:

Besides there is more than enough to go around.
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

thats true, most of these guys will be gone before next season even gets going, it dosent take long to weed out the losers.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

According to your profile, you are not much past the just starting stage yourself. What do you bet others said the same thing 2 yrs ago?

November 11, 1976
    Your Age:
    Years in business:
    Tampa, Fl

Anyway, its all the same. Every year you see all types starting. New rigs, wifes car, small pickup, sometimes even a corvette pulling trailers. Many do it for extra money to help with family or pay for toys. Many have thoughts in the back of their mind about maybe it could be a full time business one day. Many find out its hot hard work. Many go back to the a/c real quick.

Don't get bothered by it. Its the same every single year. Good luck.
  7. It's kind of like guying a new car. You never notice the same kind of car 'till you own one. Then it seems they're everywhere!

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

This is true, but there will always be another to take their place...so it's a never ending cycle you see. I pay no attention to them and just focus on what I am doing.

It's truly amazing to hear stories of others. For example, I was mowing a 12K lot for $45...discharging. After a month she saw I was not bagging the grass. No biggie...we departed and I kept doing her chem apps. She said she found an older gentleman to mow it. He mowed it with a 21" and bagged (zoysia grass). He said he would do it for $35. I asked her how long it took him and she said hours....I am guessing 3-4 hours. You do the math.....truly amazing how people operate their business.
  9. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Ummm, so. When I first started, I bid all my jobs like I had the equipment to do it otherwise I would have been 4 or 5 times higher than the next lowest bid. I put over 4000 hrs on 2 21" mowers with my self and one employee in 7 months before I could buy a good commercial riding mower. You have to start somewhere. People were rolling over on the ground laughing when they saw us out there with those little mowers. Now I'm taking all their work. Whos laughing now. I'll tell you, it sure as hell aint them.
  10. It's like when you buy a different car. You never notice so many of that model 'till you own one. :)