Everyone who has a deck mounted striping roller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 8, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have a few questions and I want to get an idea of what the average setup fot this is these days.

What is the approx diameter of your roller?
    How far off the ground do you typically run it?
    Will you admit how often you get hung up because of it?

2. ghuffman3

ghuffman3 LawnSite Member

I have a cub cadet z-force that I fabricated a roller for. I went to my local mower shop and picked up some rollers for a simplicity mower, i had some 5/8" cold roll steel for the axle and fabricated 2 small mounting plates out of 1/4" mild steel. I mounted my roller onto the existing antiscalp brackets on the mower deck. I set it up approximately 3/8" off of the floor. I only mow my grass and the grass at the houses that we are selling and only mow at 4" so I did not build any adjustment in it. If I had to change the heigth of cut very often I would have probably adapted a spring somewhat like the scag striping kit has. I was going to use the scag kit and adapt it to my mower, but I thought I could build one for a lot less than they wanted for it. Total price for my version was right at $70.00 and most of that being the 9 rollers I bought. Hope this helps you out.

3. ghuffman3

Oh, and your last question. So far I have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

4. Envy Lawn Service

ghuffman3,

Howdy neighbor! Thanks for the info and welcome to Lawnsite! There's gettin' to be more and more of us Good 'Ol Carolina Boys on here. I dunno if thats good or bad.

I just wanted to add to what you said and ask... are you in the flat lands of NC where all is nice and smooth? Anyways, I thought about doing what you did a couple of years ago. But I would have had to go through th whole ordeal of ordering those little rollers one by one. However, later on I did find out that Simplicity makes a Expresso & Regent conversion kit. Some of there early models of those came with just an anti-scalp wheel on each side of the rear of the deck rather tan full width rollers. What I was told is that you can order the conversion for $78 bucks and I think it comes with the axle and enough rollers for the 38" which would cover inside the tires of most Z's.

Anyone else?

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Ive never gotten hung up. I run it close to the ground. For size look at the pic? I could measure it?
    John

stripingkit.jpg

6. ghuffman3

Now that I see the exmark roller that is almost exactly the way the one I made looks like. oh yeah, I am in between Salisbury and Statesville.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Never gotten hung up? Not even once? Never even a curb or something you couldn't cross?

I must have done something wrong :confused:

I tried the fixed roller thing a long time ago. It was off the first day. I kept bottoming out on the roller, getting hung up, stopped by curbs. Then there was the deck beating and banging around every time the roller hit a high spot.

After it bottomed out on a slope, took the deck weight off the machine, caused traction loss and sent me downhill.... well lets just say it came off quick!!!!

I think I used a 2" diameter and I believe I set it up to be 1/2" to 1" off the ground at a 4" cutting height.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

8. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

Hey John Gamba,

Any idea if that Exmark roller fit on a 52 Toro?

9. John Gamba

from ct

You got a PM:)

10. John Gamba

from ct

I have never had a problem like you have had. If anything i go over leaves back wards and it rolls them flat so they go under the deck. But you have to watch out where you are going. I think you have the roller to LOW . On uneven ground it will bounce once and awhile but nothing that has ever concerned me much.
    I also use it as an anti scalp roller on high berm's i just lift the deck to let the roller roll on the peak and i dont scalp like Pedro did the year before.
    I do really think that its to low, Just lift it up or get a lazer.:D

John

Oh post a pic and i will take a pic of my roller and i will show you how low it is.