Everyone....you need this, trust me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by instyle, Apr 14, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I was measuring out a property today, it was very big with lots of sections. Anyways I came home and realized that i forgot to measure one of the biggest sections, I didn't want to go all the way back....so:

I went online and downloaded a free program called Google Earth, I found the property on the globe (took some work) zoomed right in, then I used the measuring tool and mesured it from my own home.

This is awesome, it is a satalite image of the earth, you can navigate areas, zoom in quite close, measure properties or even your enitre route. I found my house and measured the front lawn online, then went out and measured it with a tape measure and I was within a 1/2 meter.

The images are probably two years old though, so new development may not show yet. Have fun, I did.

2. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

The google earth image of my house showes a truck I sold 4 years ago parked in my driveway.

I've used this program for calculating acerages to buy seed, estimating square footages for new roofing (budgeting only, not for actual bids), and even to find which direction would be best to bring in electric, gas, water, and sewer for new construction.

And zooming along the ground like your flying is just plain cool.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's a cool program, but I just can't get any shots clear enough to do any measurements. I know there is another program that is similar that I could get some much clearer shots called Globe Explorer.

4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

I must be doing something wrong. all the addresses i've tried do not show buildings or anything and i have the box for them checked???????

5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

It a great tool. I also use our county GIS almost daily. Another great tool.

6. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I use www.zillow.com type in street adress and zip. Gives you a map of the area info on the the house and lot size in sq. ft.. I show up at the customers house with the lot size acording to the county, how much the property is worth and so on. I think this a real good tool to use because it is free and saves on time. No need to wheel the property unless you have wooded area and you can see that when you bring up the property. Try it out and see..
    I olny had one that did not come up for what ever reason, but the rest are all good..

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hey that's REALLY cool especially for those large acre+ lots where all you see is grass as far as you can see... I'll be using this to determine lot size from now on, still have to go look at the property but at least it's a heads up.

Yeah... Matter of fact I just pulled up this guy's lot who I thought might be trying to get one up on me... He wanted me to cut it for 75 but I had told him 75 to 90 because I wasn't sure on the size, thinking it was at least 1.5 maybe 2 acres. Turns out it's 76,012 square feet which makes it 1.68 acres so I'm glad I said no... Oh yeah, the house is worth 400k+ so now it all makes sense.

8. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

that program google earth is awesome and so fun just to play with. thatks for listing that.

9. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Is it just me, or do some more rural areas just show up blurry? Its great for developed areas but I just get a green blur once i get into the country

10. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I use Google Earth all the time! I lost my notes for an estimate for a doctor's office and had to get the bid in. Went to Google Earth, used the measuring tool, and figured the area out that way. Went there to drop off the bid, took a look around, and it was right on the money. Got the contract, life is good.