1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

everyones mowing grass this year!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag52inch, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

I dont like complaining and I rarely do but I have to on this one a little bit. Seems this year around my area everyone is mowing. You just cant go anywhere without seeing someone pulling a mower. Not big companies either. Just old pickups or in a lot of cases nice suv's with a small trailer and a ZTR. You cant open up the local papers without seeing advertisements for "ED's Lawn Mowing" and stuff like that. I guess everyone wants in on the loot. I put in three bids on commercial properties this year and everyone of them said "another one of the bids were substancially cheaper" I might have been a little high but I edge everytime I mulch and when i cut all sidewalks and beds. One other thing everytime I put flyers up someone rips them down. I put them at community mailboxes. Other flyers appear where mine were. Oh well Im just glad I have a good bit of landscaping lined up. I guess the people who were mowing before me thought the same thing Im thinking when they saw me. So I guess I really shouldnt complain!
  2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, I'm in the middle of nowhere and I can't believe the number of trailers around. We've gotten a few new customers and we aren't even trying to get anymore. It seems that people see the ther trailers around and get thinking maye they should get a price and see what the big deal is. Our cube van is lettered and people remember seeing it so we get the calls. It's a good thing we dropped a couple of accounts this year because now we can replace them with better customers. We dumped a few to free up some spare time and now we have more work than we had before. We prefer one time customers like cleanups, lawn sweeping, tree removal, stuff that we can schedule when we want too and still have our steady customers for grass cutting.
  3. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

How about this, when you see the little guy out there, stop and exchange biz cards, ask what they do [ & refer you crap customers to them?] or clients your just tired of doing. Let them know what your speciality is, So they can refer you to there clients. I think its a win / win sistuation now.... :angel:
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I see it every year. This year is a little worse than others. Many more this year than before. More junk garden tractors that look like they should be pulling the junk truck.

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

Right here in Florida the least likely person will be mowing a lawn, the competition is at our max!

Joe... :angry: :realmad: :cry:
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

This year seems especialy bad for new compitition. I opened up the local paper this weekend and saw three full colums of adds under "lawn/garden maintenance/service" Its like there really coming out of the woodwork this year.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Get used to it. It happens like this every year. I din'rt see any more people doing it this year than any previous years - just more that are advertising in the local papers, and such. I see cardboard signs and telephone paper plates, and everything else. I'll take a pic of a sign that is sticking up at an intersection about a mile from me. They are getting "smarter". 21 yeqars in this biz, and I've seen 'em come and I've seen 'em go.
  8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell me about it runner, I forgot to metion all the signs I've seen plastered all over telepone polls. If I get a chance I'll take a picture of a few aslo and upload them. Most people would find them funny.