Everyones mulch price

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jbailey52, May 1, 2006.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering what everyone charges for Mulch. I know basically every job has different cleanup needs and hard places where the mulch basically is installed. But to say the mulch costs you $25 a yard picked up, what do you charge for install and normal cutting the edges and thats about it?

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

usually about $75.00/yard.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It varies a lot, depends on kind of mulch and what you want and how:

The cheapest mulch which is standard double-shredded I deliver and spread for 45 a cube but the price only drops to that for 4 cubes or more: 1 cube is 55, 2 is 100, 3 is 145 and 4 is 175 while 5 is 220.

If you want premium double-shredded, that's 55 a cube and not to go through it again, 5 cubes = 275 delivered and spread.

If you want designer mulch, that's 65 a cube, 5 cubes = 330 d + s.
    Why designer? Because it doesn't fade, I give a 60-day Guarantee of NO color fade or I do it over. Some folks let designer go for 2-3 years before replacing it, spending the money on the high grade can be the cheapest option for some.

All of the above is rake-spread prices, I have a lot of experience and usually spread mulch with a rake about 1-2 inches thick... Most of the time I get at least twice the coverage out of a cube as the new guy but it doesn't take them long to catch on.

If I hand-spread, I can spread it so thin it is almost as good as a blower truck and I get twice the coverage than rake spreading but it takes twice as long:
    Hand-spreading I will only do for designer mulch due to the pita of the job, it runs 80 dollars a cube minimum, but at twice the area covered it is actually the cheapest of all of the above, and still comes with a 60-day NO color fade guarantee.

4. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

$80.00 per cubic yard installed.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

$55-$65 per cubic yard. edging runs the price of the edger rental and a minimum of 1 hour of labor ($40)

6. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

$75 a yard installed.. Edging $0.85 a ft.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$40 per yd, and, i send a fruit basket w/ a thank u note

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Double shredded chocolate dyed costs us $26 a yard, sure we could find cheaper stuff elsewhere, but come on, let's face it, that stuff looks like crap.
    We charge $95.00 installed, always have, and infact was considering raising our price this year, but we stuck with the $95. I see prices way so low on here, i can't believe it. It is just not WORTH it to be lower, by the time you go get the mulch (i'm talking for 3 yards or less), return to the jobsite, wheelbarrow it over to the beds, lay it down, it chews up time. We get $95 installed with no problem, customers don't even bat an eye. Bed edging is additional charge.

9. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

wow 95 per is good money. I normally get 70 per yard and pay 15/ yard delivered. I just has a vp of a restaurant blow up on me over 70 bucks per yard.

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Labor for install of mulch depends how much crap is in the beds. Over planted mess I usually say thanks but no thanks. We try to do the easy ones and let the rest go. Labor only 50 -65 a yard and once you get over 60 ppl around here tell you to get the F!!!!!! off their property. I wish we could get more but everybody with a wheelbarrow around here spreads mulch for 20-25 bucks a yard.