Everything BUT the kitchen sink

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Dec 4, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So today was one of those days and a Monday at that!

Today I was to Ditch Witch about 300'-350' of a hilly residence for an electric line being put in.........I'm working with a contractor I know so I'm a sub on this job.

Miss Utility came last week, did their thing and today was time to get rolling.

First the rental company didn't have the machine I needed this morning but that was straightened out and on I went. I get to the job, walk it to see where I'm working and get started. I make it about 10' with the Ditch Witch and guess what, Miss Utility didn't mark something.........what a suprise, I mean who would have ever guessed that? Well that something was a whistle I could hear over the wide open 20hp Honda engine........GAS. I shut down immediately and grab my buddy/employee and tell him to in simple terms to get the hell away and get the maid lady out of the house about 50' away.

So I do the phone calls and everybody but George Bush shows up sirens going and suited up. Gas is shut off, THEN marked and I am able to continue on my way.

Glad thats over!

Oh wait, then I cut trough Verizons phone service to the house that was also not marked. Not just cut but grabbed and ripped about 50' out of the ground before it surfaced.

Did I mention the Ditch B*tch rolled over 2 times (wonderful, non-manuverable, three wheel design).

Now that is all over I can go out and take care of the tire on my truck that decided today it would get a leak. There is still about 3hrs and 45m left in the day for something else.
  2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

one good thing happened to you today. you didn't get hurt. here's hoping tomorrows a better day:drinkup:
  3. tthomass

from N. VA

yes, that was the good thing..........glad we were on the Potomac River in godo soil vs the rocky and "sparky" soil 30min inland
  4. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure who the locate contractors are in Va. this is what I do at my full time job. For your protection in these matters always take photo's showing that it was not marked the more the better this will prevent you from having to pay a bill. no matter who said what on-site at the time of the damage in a couple of weeks when the bill gets sent out no one can remember anything And in the future take a photo of the marks that are there before you start to dig this will protect you.
  5. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

that's a great tip BQLC. you can never be to careful
  6. tthomass

from N. VA

I pulled out my camera before they got there and snapped everything.

Gas line was 10" vs 3'.

Also, from speaking with the homeowner it seems as though the installer of the gas line failed to notify of the new utility.

As for the truck tire.........it went flat last night and left me stuck in a parking lot for a while. We look back and with twisted humor laugh at it now, yesterday sucked.
  7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Why was the gas line that much smaller?
  8. tthomass

from N. VA

I'm referring to depth.
  9. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Can you imagine the day that locater had when they called him back to the office?
  10. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard if you hit a gas line it will not blow up. Because the gas is so concentrated that there is no oxygen for it to blow up. I have hit a few in my time also.