Everything is Gone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Nicklan

Nicklan LawnSite Member

Scott,
    My shop burned down 8/11/03. I am just now finishing up my new shop (structure - not stuff yet).
    If your old shop is still standing, and safe to look in at, or go into, video tape EVERYTHING. Start making a list of EVERYTHING that may have been in there. Not just big stuff, EVERYTHING. Duct tape, WD-40, oil cans, paint, brushes, can openers beverage holders, shop towels. I know this sound stern and who cares about $1-2 dollar stuff but it adds up fast. Put a small pad of paper in your pocket so you can write things down whenever it occurs to you that "thing" was in there. Don't worry about writing things down twice- you can sort that out later.

Hope things turn out OK

Nick

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about your big loss Scott...A farmer I knew when I lived in New York had a barn the burnt to the ground...He lost 1.5 million dollars worth of Farm Equiptment, his 2 cars and there dog..But insurance replaced everything except the dog..His fire started from a faulty breaker that shorted out...

I hope you make a full recovery..

Chad

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Scott - Sorry to hear about your fire - Some of us are lucky - The first time I used my plasma cutter, I had a mask on, and I smelled something burning - It's sparks had started a bunch of foam insulation from boxes on fire and I just barely had time to get them out of the shop (literally kicked them across the floor) - the smoke was black black and filled the top half of the room - If I would have left a minute earlier, the fire would have continued and finished off the building - I do a lot of welding and cutting by torch, plasma, and cuttoff saws, and I have made a lot of efforts to now keep the sparks contained because you are right - the sparks fall on paper or into the wrong places, they can start fires.

Thanks, Brad - PS - Hope your insurance man is good

4. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

That sucks and I do feel your pain my whole life is in my shop.

5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Thanks again for all your support guys. It has really been theraputic for me. An insurance adjuster should be arriving later in the week. I will let you all know the out come. There is not one single thing that is recoverable from the fire. The building is knocked completely down and now buried with 2' of snow. Kind of nice to not be able to see it as clearly.

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Life has a way of knocking us down sometimes....but you sound like the kind of person who has the grit to let this bad event make you an even stronger person...you'll get thru it...and be better for it....good luck

7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I wish you all the best. and hope every thing works out.

8. Jeff NY

Jeff NY LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about your fire I hope every thing works out for you.

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am truly sorry to hear about the fire. Luckily your either neither your home nor you were hurt. I wish you the best of luck and try and don't let this get you down.

Gravely_Man

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

now thats gonna be a hard sell. but guess id have to try it, in your position..
    good luck bud.