Everything that is needed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jdlawn, Apr 5, 2007.

1. jdlawn

jdlawn LawnSite Member
    from MO

I have a Lawn care company and i really was just wanting to make sure everything is in place for this season, legally. This is my second year and i am a DBA (registered with the state) for right now and i am in the process of getting insurance. I have a bank account for the business. I keep track of every expense and income in quickbooks for tax purposes. I am wondering, after reading some threads, if i am set up and ok with the gov or if i still need to apply for something or set up something else. Please help, anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

there may be regulations in your state....check your state web site and check it out

3. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your Dept of State. Whatever means you used to register your DBA or fictitious name, you should find the answers to a lot of your questions there. Some states require you to collect and remit sales tax for lawn services and others don't. For those states, every county can have a supplimental tax as well. And with all that you have invested already, I would get hot on that liability insurance. I wouldn't touch another property without it. You can find help with a lot of legal info pertaining to your business vehicle by talking with your agent. As a sole prop, my truck is in the company's name but it is insured as a personal vehicle used for business purposes. That is a world of difference from being insured as a commercial vehicle. With that being said, in PA for example, I am not allowed to put advertising of any kind on my truck without commercial tags and commercial insurance. A trailer is free game though. It's that kinda stuff you should probably look into. Good luck. Hope that helps a little.