evil gator blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TriplePLandscaping, May 26, 2006.

1. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

was wondering if anyone has had this problem before:

i had gator blades installed on my mower since ive started cutting with it. on standard grass they do really well, nice small clippings, though since i havent cut w/ the standard blades i couldnt really compare the clippings. anyway i had a few problems with my deck clogging up on me, i got really mad especially when i had to clean it out twice on one account (the grass was pretty tall and wet) i was gonna take it to my dealer and compalin, have em check out the deck etc..., anyway i had an idea that maybe it was the blades fault, so i swapped out the gators for my standard blades and from firing it up i could tell a difference, just in the howl i could tell there was mroe velocity for discharging, so i think it was the way the gators directed the airflow or something, but now my clippings are at least 2/3 larger than they were w/ the gators, gotta compromise sometimes...

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

The Lco that cuts our shop at work, told me on his scag is set up gator, gator then high lift at the discharge. Tried that set up at home on my jd. works GREAT! Just my experience.
  3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Gators are great for SD but if the lawn is wet, thick and tall, your in for world of hurt, the deck will packed solid with green!
  4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are Gators any good for a 21"?
  5. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Why not just run gators over highlifts on all three spindles? This way you get the best of both worlds.

I've been quite happy doing this on my 48" Scag Walkbehind. I read about running doubles on this site and decided to try it. Now I won't cut without doubles.
  6. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

High lift blade howls more because it moves more air. The Gators don't push as much because they have the teeth on the wing that lets more air do through them instead of moving it. I have seen that the best use for gators is with leaves. The patent on the gator blade does specify it as a leaf mulcher.

7. TriplePLandscaping

about running the setup: gator, gator, then high lift, ive noticed my gators are a bit thinner than the high lift and therefore much lighter, would this make a difference loading up the deck w/ diffrently weighted blades?

as for running double blades how do u do that? put them perpendicularly? isnt that much more stressful on the spindles/belts/deck?
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

gators are made for mulching -not side discharging
  9. TriplePLandscaping

no kiddin, but w/ a mulch plate the decks will clog much faster and you still have the problem of stringers etc...
  10. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Do not run gators this time of year. Run regular standard or hi-lift blades. The grass this time of year is longer and thicker. And yes the gators will make it clump and discharge like crap. Gators are for super dry conditions and fall. I tried the combo RKISTNER1 mentioned, in fact on his mower. Doesnt work. Maybe on his lawn since it is not thick and long. Your best bet for right now is hi-lifts. I'am also going by experience, 16 years in the business.