ex employee stealing accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by b121774, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

If they smell a easy fine they just might. But every time I do a re-cert course I see someone bitching about enforcement then the speaker says yes we need to do more then the guy asks how many enforcements have you done last year. And then comes to usual answer none.

2. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me except he didn't get very far in his business venture:laugh:

KARMA WILL COME BACK ON YOUR GUY 10 FOLD, AND IT LASTS FOR A VERY LONG TIME

3. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

It's your decision, either forget about it and drink a beer :drinkup: or do some :weightlifter: and then go :hammerhead: .

-Michael :waving:

4. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

Already on it;)

5. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

You could also go to the customers he has stolen and let them know in person.

-Michael

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

dang i would work for you if your business was here. average job here pays $10-$15/hr. alot don't even have benefits.

7. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

The customer can hire who they want but if the Guy who signed a non-compete goes to one of your clients you can sue him if he services the property. The customer will still need to hire someone else to cut the lawn and sue the low life also. So the lowlife will spend twice as much time in court as you.:dizzy:

8. grasshopperslawn

grasshopperslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Every state has a law to prevent this . I just went through it last year . One of my ex employees was going around knocking on customers doors trying to steal accounts. If he has you customer list it is considered theft of company property. Needless to say I got a lawyer and he had to deist and deist. It called unfair trade practices and there are law against it.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Just for the record, that would be cease and desist. Deist is one who believes in deism, God exists from natural revelation. I'm doubting that is what you have in mind here.

If the services are typical grass cutting for residential properties, at $30, $40, $50 per week, I am doubting that any customer would want to be any part of a suit against anybody, including the ex-. Why would they want to get entangled in legal issues for so little money, when they can just move on to the next LCO for their grass cutting services. If the issue revolves around a major install or construction work, then it may be a different matter.

The OP never responded back after March about what happened. Was their a closure?

10. Triton2286

Triton2286 LawnSite Member

Since a few of you didn't read the post correctly he never said the ex employee slandered him or his business.

He stated that he did not tell his customers about the thefts because he did not want to slander the employee.

So suggesting to sue for damages is useless since you didn't read the post right.