1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ex employee won't return borrowed tools.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LR3, Aug 26, 2011.

1. LR3

LR3 LawnSite Senior Member

So, I have this guy thats worked for me since the end of the plowing season till about two weeks ago who also happens to be a friend of mine. Throughout that time he ended up borrowing a SS lesco broadcast spreader, a pair of stihl hand pruners, a pro locker, a 2 5/16 ball hitch and has a set of keys to my shop and every lock on my trailer as well as my skid steer. The locks on the shop have already been replaced and I'm not worried he will try stealing anything off the trailer. I have tried calling him leaving messages and texts to try and get back my stuff but he won't return or reply to any of my attempts. He was about to be fired and before I could tell him he just never showed up. What can/should I do to get my stuff back?
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Call the local pd and ask if they can get involved. He is clearly not a friend of yours. He probably sold them already and bought drugs.
  3. LR3

Definitely not a friend. Out of jealousy and resentment I think is what caused him to betray me. He's quite the idiot. He tried to start a LCO last year and failed miserably, saw what I accomplished and jelousy set in. He started to make a little money and instead of re investing, he goes out and buys a brand new $12k motorcycle. I'll never hire another guy who once owned an LCO before.
  4. DavesLL

DavesLL LawnSite Member

Assuming you can get in contact with him (voice/email, takes phone calls, snail mail), do so and state you'll be filing a stolen items report with the police unless he returns the items.

Then if they don't reappear within a week, file the damn police report. If you can get him on voice mail saying anything that translates to "I have the tools / I have borrowed the tools" etc..., even better. Just like they used to tell you back in school, don't settle things yourself; get the authorities involved. In the real world, that's the cops. Make'em actually do something useful for a change.
  5. LR3

I'm afraid if I tell him I'm filing a report he will relocate the stuff. As for the letting the police do their job, there is no doubt that I will, I'm not risking what I have worked so hard for. 5 years back, now that would be a whole different story.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to defend this guy but I am pretty jealous of some of the guys on here with all of their equipment. Just makes me work harder to get to be that big someday :clapping:
  7. Pro-Lawn&Grounds

Pro-Lawn&Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

The cops can't do a damn thing ... In an effort to make a profit Stihl, Lesco, etc make more than one of each of there product. you cant really prove he stole anything. Lesson learned don't let employees borrow tools because what do they need them for? Work on the side that could just be sent to you? or work at they're houses? nothing gets borrowed by my employees because its to hard to get it back and prove its yours ... I'd just confront him personally or just go buy new hand trimmers and what not and make sure to mark them and never let ppl borrow them ... sorry buddy
  8. rywnygc

rywnygc LawnSite Senior Member

No offense man, but grow a pair and go get your stuff. Screw calling and texting. Park at the dude's house and wait for him to come home. He can't stay away for ever. If someone takes my stuff, they will give it back just to get rid of me. The cops won't be able to do much unless your equipment is in plain sight. They would need a warrant to go into a garage or home.
  9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Apparently these guys dont know how police work is done. You file a report, he gets a visit. They tell him he returns the stuff or gets charged with larceny, which is a felony. Then he goes before the judge and you guys try to prove your side.. Dont listen to these guys. They dont know what they are talking about.
  10. LR3

Thanks for the proper support, like all forums, you post, get replies and weed out most and keep the few that best applies. My plan is to show up at his parents house, which is where he lives and asking nicely for it back. If that fails then I will file a report with the police and hand over the receipts for each item. If that fails then I'll take it as a learning experience and let it go.
    Posted via Mobile Device