ex mark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kenneth.clark, Jun 15, 2006.

1. kenneth.clark

kenneth.clark LawnSite Member

ok I have a 52 exmark hp 20hp my first commercial mowing machine. I did do my homework before buying plus I had a friend that recommended this brand after years of cemetary mowing and all models to choose from without any out of pocket expense to him so I had to go with what he recommended.
    I have been very pleased with it's performance with a few exceptions. I purchased it from a place that did not even know customer satisifaction so I switched dealers for my second year of warranty. My first year I did not run the micromulch and this year I have. It is amazing the finished product which has amazed all my customers. However I have had to in the spring mow 1/2 the deck capacity one because of quality went from good to exceptional and I demand exceptional. I also had to slow down a bit it did bog down the motor.
    My seat just broke and was welded for a fix which I am not sure I agree with I have the cheap model seat without springs (if you are buying I recommend only the best seat.
    my light bulbs only last about 5 days I think because I mow so much with the rops down and the vibration still poor design. I have started removing the bulbs when not needed for night mowing and put in the glove box of vehicle.
    I am asking those of you who went to the 60 with larger motor if it is enough. I really like the 52" due to entrance size of some back yards. I also am doing some cemetarys this year ya I said I would never do that lol I had to take some on to pay off equipment so I can keep one under warranty at all times. I also live where service is very hard to be happy with. What I really want is a 52" hp with a 29 horse dfi with the better seat etc. since the mule design takes 13-15 % of the horsepower to drive the machine.
    After reading some posts I am now very concerned with the "new" equipment. I have already been told the 27 kohler is enough engine and it probably is but after this year with gas prices I really want a dfi. I drain my two 10 gal tanks befor the day is over and it is a real pain to refuel one hour before finishing sometines causing me to drive 15 miles for fuel. I also would definitly test a triton deck before I buy again but my problem is I know on the second purchase what I need and want but of course they do not offer that and they tell me no one needs that well I can tell the company has a few people with power that also have very big ego's. I also have a skagg dealer close but never heard of hustler. I am requesting any of you with a 60"29hp or 35hp that upgraded to please tell me what is wron with the model if anything.

2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

We run an 52" Toro with a 23 hp Kohler. It was the "big" engine option when we got it 5 years ago. Very glad I did not get the 20 hp that was standard on a 52" machine. We no longer mulch with that machine, but we do run dubbles when not doing fall clean up with the dfs bagger. I could see running a few more hps but 29? that may be over kill. I would always get the bigger engine option. Buy a gas can. PR

3. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Similar to PR Fect, I have a 2001 Scag 52" with a 23 hp Kohler. A 25hp was available at the time, and like a dope, I didn't take it. This machine is underpowered in anything other than perfect conditions. Thick damp grass? Forget it!

In addition to that machine, I now have a 61" 35hp Tiger. It's got power to spare. No regrets as of yet. This thing absolutely flies! I can't wait until next spring's torture test this machine will have to endure! :laugh: If I can find it or create it, I will attempt to cut it! I want to know how much is too much. I haven't found it yet. What does it take to bog this motor?
    Nothing wrong with this model other than sloppy dealer set up.

I also agree, buy another gas can!

A

4. kenneth.clark

Thank you exmark now has a 27hp koh with a 50/or/56 in deck I am sure it is enough but the skagg dealer has a dfi which I know will save me buying a gas can. The mulch system I have is the best it makes all grass go away and even if I have to mow a little slower then full speed it is worth the end look. thanks for you advice.

5. kenneth.clark

I really like the skagg dealer here he is really on top of customer service. He wants to sell me a skagg and I am so pleased with the exmark I really do not want to switch exmark in 07 has a 27hp koh with a 50/or/56 in deck. I really like the mulch system it makes the grass dissapear for a excellent final look even if I can not mow full speed. The mulch system was designed by skagg and they let the patend expire and exmark snagged it. I also really want a dfi engine that skagg offfers. I am looking at the tiger. let me know how you like it. Thanks again for your reply.

6. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I've run nothing but the 60 inch decks. This year I demoed the new 66" and I had immediate issues with it. The dealer came and got it and gave me a new 60" and no probs after that. The only time mine has bogged down is when I was in waist deep leaves at full tilt. My "cheap seat" also broke after a couple of years of use. The suspension seat wasn't all that and a bag of chips. When the cheap one broke I just welded it up and was fine after that.