Ex-mark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yourlawnguy, Nov 17, 2002.

1. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

I am considering buying an EX-MARK 36"WB i had one in the past and loved it especially the mulching system. I noticed that the new models have greaseless spindles. My bussiness is in Fl. where high temps and sand take their toll on bearings.
    My question is: Does anyone have any experience with these spindles in these conditions? Should I trust them?
    Thank you,
    Your Lawn Guy

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had Exmarks with and without greaseable spindels. Knock on wood I haven't had any problems. I also would personally go with the 48" deck for the overhang. Good luck and welcome to Lawnsite.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Actually eXmark has had those spindle for several years now. Its not a new thing anymore. Many other companies have gone to them also. I've not had a single failure on any of my exmarks.

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I havnt had any spindle problems yet going on 2 1/2 years

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

No spindle problems for over 2 years now. Granted all my equipment has been purchased in the last 2 1/2 years!

I have several Toro pieces that have greaseable spindles and 1 that has sealed spindles. I questioned my dealer on this and they said, because the "newness" wears off and most folks stop being so dilligent in greasing everywhere they should, Toro decided to go with sealed spindles.

Sounds reasonable. I just make sure to get my blades balanced EVERY time I get them sharpened. It's kinda weird around here. Most of the sharpening shops I went to acted like I was crazy for demanding that my blades get balanced every time I got them sharpened. Like balancing wasn't necessary! Matter of fact most of them did not even have a balancer. The ones who did had just a cheap little cone shaped thing. I get my blades sharpened at a place that's a little more expensive BUT they have a Magna-Matic grinder and balancer.

Keep balanced sharp blades on your mower and keep trash out of the underside of the deck. Things like twine and plastic can and will cause drag when it gets wrapped around your spindles, this generates more heat, you know what comes next.

It's a preventative maintenance issue. If you take just a little pride in your equipment, I dont care what brand it is, the equipment will take better care of you.

6. yourlawnguy

Thank you everyone for your input, you've put my mind at ease.
    TJLC : I do plan to get a 48" next but the area I'm in has small fenced backyards so I need the 36" to get thru gates.

7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I was also concerned about the sealed spindles before I bought my Lazer HP, but I figured if eXmark was willing to warranty them for 3 years, what the hey... I also did check the replacement cost of these spindles, and although I do not remember the exact price, I believe it is not an expensive replacement part.
    So far, I love my eXmark !!
    No complaints!!

Thanks to all here for all the help!

8. yourlawnguy

Naig8r,
    How do you like your Scag? I originally considered the Scag 36" because of the spindle design but the dealer told me that the mulch kit consisted of gator blades and a plate over the discharge chute. I like the mulch settup on their larger mowers but feel that EX-MARK has a better settup for the 36"

9. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

My Exmark Metro has sealed bearings as well as my 52" Stander ... neither one have had any problems with the spindles at all so far. My 36 Stander, which has greasable spinldes - is on its 3rd set of spindles in about 900 hours. Yes I do grease them at least once a week, sometimes more, but for some reason, they had needed to be replaced too often. The newest set is an adjustable aluminum type, so it might have better heat transfer and if they do get a bit sloppy, I can always give a turn on the top to snug them up.

10. With over 5000 hours on a Lazer, I am replacing the one set bearings in a spindle, this is the first time I had to on any of my exmarks.

BTW they are JD bearings too, I bought a spare set way back when to have around and never needed them.