eX vs. DC

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Brieldo, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

As my abbreviated subject suggests, I'm making this post to contrast two different mowers: The eXmark Z EPS and the Dixie Chopper XXW2660. I'll do a run down of the specs and then post my questions at the end:

eX: 26 HP EFI Kohler Engine
    DC: 26 HP EFI Kohler Engine

Filtration:
    eX:Standard Oil and canister Air
    DC: Amsoil Oil with Canister Air

Blade Engagement:
    eX:Electric Clutch
    DC: Manual

Tip Speed:
    eX:19500fpm
    DC: over 20k fpm with engine cranked up

Ground Speed:
    eX: 10.5mph
    DC: 13mph

Cut Quality:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Now, my question is specific to these areas above.
    1. Is the filtration DC offers really superior to what Kohler engineering on their engines? You see Choppers running for 1000's of hours, but if a machine will be traded in before that time, is it worth the extra cost?
    2. Is an electric clutch superior or inferior to manual engagement? I've heard two sides to it: Manual Clutches eat belts, and conversely, electric clutches wear out alot...thoughts?
    3. Is an eXmark's slower tip speeed a factor in cut quality and speed of cutting? Also, are your engines approved to run at 3800 RPM like DC's are?
    4. Are these ground speeds even attainable when mowing, or would a person be flying out of their seat? Why are yours not as fast?

Thank you for your time...I've demoed an EPS and I loved it...I just wanna get an eXmark rep's opinion on these things....

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

eX: 26 HP EFI Kohler Engine
    DC: 26 HP EFI Kohler Engine

same motor, so i'll leave this alone

Filtration:
    eX:Standard Oil and canister Air
    DC: Amsoil Oil with Canister Air

Most people break the mower in with standard oil then switch to mobil 1 or a similar syn.

Blade Engagement:
    eX:Electric Clutch
    DC: Manual

i have a manual on my walker and it squawls at any speed when engaging. both wear out.

Tip Speed:
    eX:19500fpm
    DC: over 20k fpm with engine cranked up

key wordS, engine cranked up, stock for stock they shouldn't exceed 19,500 ( i think that's a gov't mandated thing for safety)

Ground Speed:
    eX: 10.5mph
    DC: 13mph

see reply below

Cut Quality:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

yes it is

Also, are your engines approved to run at 3800 RPM like DC's are?

i wouldn't risk the extra 200 or so rpm, you don't get that much more out of it and you multiply the stress on the motor internals. it's not really an exmark or dixie thing, it's more kohlers and i think if they find out they are tweaked they can revoke any claims.

Are these ground speeds even attainable when mowing, or would a person be flying out of their seat? Why are yours not as fast?

i'm a little guy, but have you ever tried to sit on one of these at full blast over ruts and bumps?

of course i'm not exmark, but this is just how i view these points. both are good machines. i just prefer exmark personally.

3. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Mike,
    Sitting pretty at a solid 6'4" and 270lbs, bouncing isnt a problem, however, does the cut quality get sacrificed at such high speeds? It seems like the grass isnt even int he deck long enough for it to be cut completely...

Ben

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Brieldo,

I'll try to shed a little light on the questions you've asked.

You'll find that we don't spend a great deal of time talking about ground speed with our mowers. A few years ago we had one of the highest ground speeds in the industry and we didn't talk about it much then either. What we did talk about and still do is quality of cut and cutting speed.

We have been a little hesitant to increase the ground speed too terribly much. The technology is there and it wouldn't be that difficult or that expensive to do so. Our concern is the quality of cut. We have a quality of cut that we will go head to head against anybody with. We don't claim to be the fastest, we don't claim to be the heaviest but we will give you as good or better cut than anybody at any speed. Can you cut at 10 mph? If conditions are right, yes you can. Unfortunately grass, weather, and customers aren't always as predictable and those conditions that allow you to do that are not going to be found on every cut every day.

As far as PTO engagements I really like the electric clutches when moving up into the higher horsepower ranges. Above about 18 hp it is unusual to find a manual PTO that is reliable and cost effective over the life of the machine. I can't speak for the DC PTO engagement but this is the case with most manual PTO’s for belt engagement. The electric clutches are also getting much better and much more reliable. I've not seen a great deal of improved technology in manual PTO's in general over the last couple of years. The electric clutches also have a 2-year warranty. I'm not sure you get that kind of confidence from a manual PTO.

Blade tip speed is only part of the design of the Exmark mower deck. Just turning the blades fast doesn't get you what you need. You still need to design a deck that gives you max lift, discharge or recycling properties. All the blade tips speed in the world won't help you if you can't control the airflow into, under and out of the mower deck. That is the key to our design.

The Kohler canister air filter is seeing extremely good results in not only longevity but also in keeping the debris out of the engine. I don't know how you could improve on it.

If you like synthetic oils in the engine then you can always switch it over after the first oil change. That is what Kohler and most engine manufacturers recommend from the information I've been able to find.

As far as the ride and bouncing goes your 270 lbs like my 240 lbs isn’t going to make a difference to either one of these two machines. A rough lawn is a rough lawn and there will be lawns that you can not physically take the pounding that the machine can. In many cases you may find that the operator can take more than the machine, that is not the case with these two machines however.

Either machine will be a good choice. We think we have a better package, offer a better value, offer better mulching options and bagging options. Don’t forget however that you also need to consider the dealer representation in your area.

Good luck in your decision. My recommendation would be to demo the two machines. Buy the one you like and the one that will have a dealer that can support you in the manner you expect after you’ve purchased the mower.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

Thanks

Terry

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i think terry summed it up best, but that's his job. i've never used a chopper but i have used a lazer and i can't see getting a better cut.