Exactly how OFTEN should mower blades be sharpened?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly how OFTEN should mower blades be sharpened? Is once a day the norm? I have heard some of you guys even say that you sharpen or change the blades twice a day! Does it really make a difference by doing it twice a day or is once a day enough? Or what about even less than that? And after many hours do you sharpen or change your blade (for those days that aren't full days)?
  2. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I mow 35 lawns a week, mostly medium to small size, and sharpen about 2-3 times a week, so nearly every day.
  3. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

We clean and lube the mowers every day. So we just check the blades when we have the decks flipped up for scraping. If they are dull sharpen them.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I do mine every 8-12 hrs mowing time,but if its real thick in the spring,Ill throw a new set on as soon as 5-6 hrs if needed.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I am real particular about my blades and their sharpness, however I seem to be able to go about 15 hrs or so before a blade change. Just watch the terrain and dont mow driveways, thats what blowers are for! Sandy or dusty conditions will dull them quicker. Sticks and stones will break your bones (blades) real quick.

6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

usually 10 - 15 hrs 2-3 times a week
  7. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

Fresh blades 1-2 times per day.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Fresh blades every morning.
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to figure this computer stuff out, you people have some cool stuff!
  10. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 48" eXmark wb. My dealer is one (if not the)of the most reputable around.
    I told them to order me a few extra blades because I wanted to sharpen them daily.
    The looks I got!
    I'm sure they just saw a naive newbie.

I also asked them about a blade sharpening machine (I couldn't come up w/ "RBG")
    They said, "blades don't have to be that sharp."
    They use a 4" angle grinder.
    I told them that it was my belief that sharp blades are better for the grass. They agreed, but felt that anything more than what they were doing would be overkill!

I may have to break down and buy me a RBG. It sounds like the easiest way to go for regular sharpening routine.

In the meantime, I'll try to keep them sharp w/ a flat bastard. It's work. But, it's less work if I never let the blades get dull. I don't think my dealer would do a better job (definately faster!) w/ their 4"!

It's a good dealership w/ a good service dept. I was tempted to tell them where I get my radical ideas, but I decided I would just ride the "naive newbie" title for a while. The ONLY reason I don't fit that description exactly is LS.
    (I probably fit it more than I realize, so I try to do more listening than talking)

Anyway, I try to keep my blades SHARP. I check them often and take into consideration all the sand here on the coast.
    Usually, a daily workout w/ the bastard produces satisfactory results.