Example of pricing in the St. Paul MN area

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jan 20, 2006.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I just got an RFP (request for proposal) on a school district about 35 miles from me.

The bid sheet states that you need to mow every 7-10 days, at 2 1/2 inches.

Also, the football field is to be bagged each time. Obviously someone has not shown them that you don't have to bag the field, just use some decent blades.

Anyways, it's about 35 acres of turf, plus all of the usual fence lines and buildings.

It's one elementary school, one senior high school and one middle school, all on the same campus.

Needless to say, it's not a real large school district.

The bid is to mow approx. 35 acres of turf, trimming each week and as I stated, "bagging" the football field.

Also, they wanted pre-emergent put down on the entire 35 acres, plus having the entire 35 acres of turf "weed & feeded" twice in the year.

The other stipulation, is that you're required to keep all sidewalks, rockpiles, parking lots, curbs, infields, etc., weed free.

So far I've figured my costs in fertlizers / chemicals are about $5k, give or take $500 here or there.

It'll be about 22 mowings in our area, obviously dependant on rain, since a large majority of this isn't watered.

This breaks down to about 800 acres of mowing that you'll need to do for the year.

Last year the bids went as follows:

Belisle moved, with second by Bell, to approve 2005 contract with Demulling Lawn Care for
    campus mowing in the amount of $13,600.00. Motion passed unanimously.
    Belisle moved, with second by Colbeth, to approve 2005 contract with TruGreen/Chemlawn for
    campus fertilizing in the amount of $8,654.00. Motion passed unanimously.

This means that Demulling lawn care mowed 800 acres of grass last year, plus the trimming for $13,600, or roughly $17 / acre.

Chemlawn came in and did 3 apps at approx. $82 / acre, depending on how much they actually had to spray cracks in sidewalks, which I'm assuming they did, since they had the other chemical contract.

I WAS going to put a bid on this, figuring about $30k or so for the year. However after doing some research..... :eek:

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It will be low Jeremy. Even before reading the $17/acre, I was figuring on around 20 or 25 an acre just for mowing.

3. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

PM me on this account. We can possibly work together to get you a better price on the mowing and we would take on the fertility and weed control with using only organic weed controls.

This will be better received with the school board and they will not have to jump through the government hoops on using pesticides that require the 3 week pre-notification.

Even if you don't want to use our products/services I will help you try to get a better price. The guy that's bidding this seems to be paying for the equipment about 1 month before he needs new.

The only reason to take on this account would be if you can make a solid profit.