excavaction?????

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by creek chub, May 26, 2004.

1. creek chub

creek chub LawnSite Member

Hey guys!!

Awesome site. I just wanted to throw out a general question. I just started lawn care this and it does ok for me. Initially, I did this to make extra money to pay my house off early. But now, the entreprenuerial bug has bit me right dead in the butt. My problem is this. I work full time for a corp. and do mowing and some landscaping part time.

I know right now, I don't wan't to do mowing full time or keep setting behind my desk all day til I'm old and gray either.

Do you guys think a motivated guy who loves to work would do well to invest in a skid steer with some attachments to pick up grading, snow plowing, and ect?

I know the general business thing demand, competition and prices play a part in it. I just would like some general info and ideas.

Thanks-Creek Chub

PS. My wife thinks I'm crazy to give up a "good job" to get dirty. But hey I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Oregon Rob

Oregon Rob LawnSite Member

You sound just like me. I am 38, have a good, corporate job that I am just sick of and need to get outside and want to drive equipment, but have to provide a good living for the family in the mean time. That’s why I am starting an apprenticeship with the operating engineers, (check out “New Guy” post if you haven’t already). Good luck and I’m glad to know I’m not alone.:blob2:

3. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you should go forward with your desire. I work for a rental company like United Rentals and I am starting to spread word about me being able to do excavation work. In a couple years I'll be a deputy with the local sheriff's department but will have my own side excavation business. I couldn't NOT do it, I love doing machine work and so I figured I'd have a small business on the side. Get all your ducks in a row and ask any question if you have any. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Blake
    WA

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would try and develop your side line business while working your current job. It will be easier to pickup equipment and get a feel for the market in your area. Running/starting a business is tough enough, but it makes it even tougher to pickup the equipment you want, maintain cash flow and worry about making a house payment when it's your sole source of income. Thats the method I used and I am still here after 10 years.

5. creek chub

creek chub LawnSite Member

I agree I should stick with lawn care now.

Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy pushing the envelope.

Creek Chub

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

The only problem with doing something you love to do for a living, is sooner or later it becomes work! With a Corp job and a sideline job, if you dont wanna cut grass or run equipment on a given day, you can blow it off and go on... catch up later. No gain, but no loss.. still gonna have a check to cover the house payment etc. Still have your benifits. If things part time go very well.. the business is taking off.. then hire a good foreman to run it for you. Still keep your corp job... let the good foreman run your "part time" gig and go from there. That way you reap the max from each.. Your "part time" is now bringing in full time pay and your full time job is your security blanket.

7. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Make sure you don't burn out too early -- no good wanting to go into something, only to realize you don't truly enjoy it after ten years. It sounds cool to me -- but be careful.

8. alldredge_2008

alldredge_2008 LawnSite Member

Hey Ksss I was wondering if you have heat and a/c in your case skidsteers, and was also wondering if I coulcd see some pics of all of your equipment. I

9. alldredge_2008

Hey Ksss I was wondering if you have heat and a/c in your case skidsteers, and was also wondering if I coulcd see some pics of all of your equipment. I really like the case 90 and 95 xt. models.

10. alldredge_2008

Sorry Ksss,
    I hit the enter but to soon.
    I was wondering also if someone could explain the Case skid steer control pattern.