Excavating / Grading Job

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SiteSolutions, Jul 11, 2013.

1. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a lead for a job that is a little too big to do with compact equipment. Wondering if I am in the right ballpark. A guy has an area 450' x 90' which is maybe 4' high for the first 90', within a foot or so through most of it, and then 4 - 5' low on the last 100' or so. Basically, I need to cut out about 1200- 1500 cu yards on the high side and push it 300 feet, and then level it all up.

I would like to cut it out with a 20 ton excavator and push and spread with a small dozer, but as I will be renting whatever I use, using two machines would run up my cost a bit. A co-worker suggested doing the cutting and pushing with a small dozer. Will a D3 or D4 make this cut efficiently or am I gonna spend 3 days dozer time trying to save one day of excavator time?

What price range should I be expecting on a job this size? I don't want to rip the customer off and I sure don't want to work for free.

2. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Would using a track loader be an option?

3. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to find one available for short term rent. Might be tricky.

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Will it need too be compacted?

5. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

Why not rent a 20 ton excavator with a blade ?

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would find a contractor with Quad Trac and a pan as long as you there is not a great deal of rock.

7. ARP

ARP LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on how comfortable you are on a dozer, I would suggest that a D5-D6 size dozer would be able to bang that project out in a few days (add another day or two depending on if you have to compact the fill as you place it).

8. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget too that you probably should strip the topsoil first if you plan on getting proper compaction. And I would never suggest using a blade on an excavator, you could only push a very small amount and then it would be rolling over the blade or you would be pushing a small amount a long distance.

9. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

D6R dozer !!!!!!!!!

10. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I can move 2000k yards in a day with my 210 no problem, but when you start transferring dirt 300' its move like trying to move 6-8k yards because you have to move the same dirt multiple times.

I think I could knock that out in a 2 days with a 20 ton hoe and a D5 dozer.

the customer will just have to understand its a lot of work and wont be cheap.

I think i'd be around or under 5k for this one as long as it does not have to be compacted. just a cut and fill