1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Excavating websites

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you have a website for you business? Do you think it has helped attract customers in your area? Could you guys post them? Im kicking it around about making one.

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I am in the process of completing a website. It is up and running and has been for about 6 months. It has helped me sign the deal. I think it gives you some type of credibility. I have not gotten any calls from the site for work......may still be too early in the game. Some of the larger companies around here get alot of work just from the sinage on their trucks and equipment.

3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I have two websites that have similar content but look different. I get most of my business from the websites and it's a good place to explain what I do. I am always working to improve them. My oldest website, the yellowdogservices.com, has been on the web since 2001 and ranks 1 or 2nd or 3rd in my categories on major search engines like yahoo and google. It's a constant battle to stay at the top.

http://www.yellowdogservices.com
    http://www.brushchipping.com

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

YellowDog....I have visited your sites often. Well put together. I thought the old man/flag/dog was an artist rendering of you :)

5. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I found that picture and never found out who the artist was so I put "artist" unknown. I researched it because I didn't want to steal copyrighted material but that picture is moving. My yellowdog looks a lot like that dog.

6. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a guy to start working on one for me and will probably get that up eventually. I think the signage and word of mouth gets more business still in this line of work but more and more people look for stuff online everyday.

7. YellowDogSVC

from TX

Dunno. I did a cost benefit analysis of my websites. I get more lucrative and long term work with them and don't have to spend as much time running around doing bids. People find my site, correspond, and if we hit it off and I can help them, I get the job.

You could make a simple site in 30 minutes, have it hosted within a day, and pay no more than 30 bucks a month. You can do it all yourself. I wouldn't pay anyone because you can't update as easily and the tools are out there to design your own. Simple is fine for this type of website.

8. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

ive found a website gives you more credibility...it shows you are serious about your business...when people dont know you from a hole in the wall, a site makes them feel more comfortable about you...i get a lot of business from craigslist where i attach my website link...most of my competition on craigslist do not have websites...and i found i got more calls after the website was up and running...

i do need to update my site...i have my old machine on there and i have before and after photos i want to make a link for... as well as my new pickup truck and OTT pics...for another day...

9. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just paying the guy to get the look I want; not hokey or amatuer. After that I will probably update it myself. I still get a lot of business from other contractors and that doesn't take much advertising, just good old fashioned leg work.

10. YellowDogSVC

from TX

site solutions, have you ever thought about sending out a thank you for referrals? I have toyed with the idea but haven't followed through.