excavating

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JTS Landscaping lawn, Nov 6, 2005.

1. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i am getting into excavating next year was wondering if anyone does this and how you started out getting jobs. i will be doing trenches and small demolition and other things along these lines. and was wondering just what a general price would be for doing this do you charge by the sq. ft.

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We do quite a bit of excavating work.. mainly ponds, but we have done a few trenches, foundations, tear-downs and demolition, alot of drainage, and ditching..

Pricing for this is tough. We charge ballpark $220/hr for an excavator and 3 men on the job.

Starting getting jobs the same way we got all of our other work. Advertise advertise advertise!!!

Attached is a picture of a pond I finished off a few weeks ago. Took all summer to do it, mostly wet weather delays. Just over an acre in size, 30' deep in the middle. $9,500 in topsoil (my cost), $8,700 in gravel and crushed stone, $2,300 in dock materials.. Had over 700 man hours in on this project.. Fun work too!

IM002156.JPG

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Quality,
    If you dont mind, what was the total price to customer? Nice work.

4. qualitylandscaping

$77,489.61 Total

Including Excavation work, all topsoil and seeding around pond (equaled out to just over 1.5 acres, drainage and emergency run off, and labor/ materials. And of course good old NYS sales tax.

Net profit in my pocket after all payroll, expenses, materials, rental of excavator was $16,500. I spent about 220 hours on the site, so that would end up being $75.00/hr.. Got exactly what I wanted for it! Usually doesn't happen

5. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

quality.. your good old friend from the cuse area.. spoke to youa while back via email... very very very nice work there... hows business and what up with the new tree company i see you got? hoope all is well..

6. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

what did you do with the dirt that you dug out did you haul it away or just spread it around the pond.

7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmmm.....
    $220 an hour for a trackhoe with 3 guys? i get $175-250 for a skidsteer and an operator. What size machine are you using.

Also why do u use topsoil in building a pond, of the dozens ive seen built they've always used clay. And doesn't gravel act as a drain isn't that something you don't want in a pond????

8. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

All Summer to make 16k ?

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Well first to answer your question about how to get into the work, you should talk to local general contractors. They are usually looking for a good excavation contractor to dig foundations and sewer lines etc and what not thats the best place to get started. Just talk to local guys n stuff like that. You can advertise about it but I would suggest not to invest to much money into it for im sure there is a lot of guys all ready in your area with a much more excavation reputable name. Just my two cents.

Quality- really you spent all summer to make 16,500. I mean Im sure you profitted from the job but i mean you spent what seems like way to long of a time on that job only to make 16,5. I know guys that make 16,5 in about a week, still an achievement at your age and in your career. Yea also why did you use topsoil for the pond, never heard of that, usually clay based. We did a similar job with clay close to the size that pond looks like in the picture took us about 3 weeks, and we did landscape, n hardscape work at the house.

Jeff

10. qualitylandscaping

Some was hauled to the back of the property and used to build a berm. The rest was spread out in other areas around the pond and used as base material to provide better compaction.